Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Slow Walking = Crazy?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Slow Walking = Crazy? on 02/16/2012 14:35:41 MST Print View

Back in the day, folks seemed to think I walked fast, and I got tagged with the trail name "Strider".

These days, I think it should be "Old'n'Slow" as age creeps up on me.

But now there's a study out which associates slow walking with dementia!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17028712

No doubt my wife and kids will say I was crazy all along, but it's shocking to realize that slowing down makes me demented!

Keep walking fast, folks! Dementia is right behind you! ;)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Slow Walking = Crazy? on 02/16/2012 14:58:46 MST Print View

:)

The question begging to be asked is why is someone walking slow. If it is to slow down and enjoy the sights, versus they can't walk any faster then we are looking at two different issues. Another thing is how often are we walking and why. Because we have to or because we are out enjoying something are two different things too. Last year on a cold fall day during the week, I came upon an elderly lady walking slowly with trekking poles, probably at least two miles from the Palm Springs tram at about 8,800 feet elevation. We spoke for a while. She was 85 years old, and sharp as a whip. Yes, she could not walk very fast anymore, but she walked/hiked everyday somewhere. I hope I can walk as slow and be as crazy as her when I am 85.

Here There
(cowexnihilo) - MLife
Re: Slow Walking = Crazy? on 02/16/2012 15:48:40 MST Print View

"Keep walking fast, folks! Dementia is right behind you! ;)"

After running around all day like a crazy person trying to get things done, that struck my funny bone just right. Thanks for the laugh!

-David