Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » A simple, dual-fuel, ultralight stove/pot/windscreen design

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Cutting Tool; Lids on 02/15/2007 10:31:46 MST Print View

Jonathan and Doug, Thanks a bunch for your can cutting instructions. Doug, my impression of your use of the can opener was to use a regular opener and angle it by applying lateral pressure while cutting?? Is the smooth edge opener you spoke of the "Good Cook" opener?

Regarding homemade lids, I have recently started saving the vacuum pack aluminum seals w/ pull taps to use as lids and for other puposes such as heat reflectors. The eco-sized Cremora can comes sealed with this type of lid along with some other products (e.g. Knox Nutra-Joint). The aluminum is more sturdy than regular aluminum foil

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: Cutting Tool; Lids on 02/15/2007 22:53:57 MST Print View

>Doug, my impression of your use of the can opener was to use a regular opener and angle it by applying lateral pressure while cutting?

Right. The hardest part was keeping the gear from ripping through the outside of the can (I ruined one that way). I then made a lid by cutting the top off another can just below the rim, from the outside using the book/blade method.

> Is the smooth edge opener you spoke of the "Good Cook" opener?

The same general style--mine is an Oxo Good Grips. It's about $20 instead of $15, but it works well. (The "Good Cook" had a few bad reviews.) The nice thing about a smooth-edge opener is that after you cut the top off, the top can be used as a lid.

Edited by Otter on 02/15/2007 22:54:41 MST.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Any worries about H-Can weakening? on 02/16/2007 07:00:35 MST Print View

I noticed after a few burns the 24oz H-can windscreen/ pot support seems a little weaker & susceptible to dents. Is it my imagination, or is this inevitable due to heating of an empty can vs one filled w/water?

Thanks folks...