Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Working on hipbelt attachment
Display Avatars Sort By:
Robert Dusing
(morob325) - F

Locale: texas
Working on hipbelt attachment on 02/15/2012 07:55:05 MST Print View

After ripping the failing seams of my modded ion with a wing-style hipbelt, I've decided to move the attachment point for the wings a couple inches towards the middle of the back panel. The central 5-6" will be a foam-padded 3mm mesh lumbar pad, and I plan to use more 3mm and leno mesh to make 2" extenders for the current wings.

I'm hoping to make the hipbelt ride like a "belt style", and add some ventilation to the lower back. The problem I can figure out is if I should worry about hipbelt "loadlifters" and where the best place to attach them along the belt is? I would have just done it already and figured it out, but on one of my wings I sewed a large pocket onto the middle 80% of the surface where I now think the strap should attach.

Also, I'm not sure how if the mesh extenders will be stable enough to not sag right next to the attachment point to the pack.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: Working on hipbelt attachment on 02/15/2012 21:51:25 MST Print View

I wouldn't worry about the "hipbelt load lifters" I use them only on packs intended for skiing, where I really want to lock the pack to my body so it doesn't shift around. For hiking, not needed. As to the stability questions, do you consider the extensions to be softer or more flexible than the rest of the belt? My guess is that you won't have a problem unless there is a big difference. My hipbelts made with 160d cordura and 1/4" EVA foam do not have any issues with sag in that area, and it sounds like your construction will be, if anything, beefier.