Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Shcnapps on 02/24/2012 11:00:08 MST Print View

A little schnapps and cocoa.

Mmmmm. :)

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Re: Adult beverages for Winter Camping on 02/24/2012 11:53:06 MST Print View

Shivering in a snowstorm late last May I was introduced to Whiskey and maple syrup with hot water. Basically the same as Benjamin Rakestraw's "Dirty Water" from above, but with maple syrup instead of honey. (Mixologist was Canadian). Good stuff. I'll have to try the honey variant.

I like Cointreau and Ibarra (hard Mexican chocolate)- very nice. (boil the Ibarra in water first to dissolve then add alcohol after cooling somewhat if you don't want to lose all the potency) Even better is a Colombian version of cacao with "Clavos and Canela"- cloves and cinnamon.

Ibarra, the similar Abuelita, and the Colombian versions are hard blocks composed of just cacao (unprocessed cocoa), sugar, and spices- no milk or other pollutants. Goes great with the orange flavor of Cointreau (or Gran Mariner). I've tried Tequila and Ibarra- not my favorite. Also hot chocolate mix (Carnation Rich Chocolate) with Cointreau but the dried milk and emulsifiers seemed to be out of place with the alchohol- not bad just not as good as the Latin American versions.

EDIT: Looking online to confirm ingredients I just came across "Taza Guajillo Chili Chocolate" It's organic cacao, Guajillo chili, and unrefined cane sugar. Reviews call it "smoky" from the Guajillo chilis. I'm thinking this would be good maybe with Tito's corn vodka.

Edited by jimqpublic on 02/24/2012 11:59:57 MST.

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Spicy Tang on 02/24/2012 16:42:56 MST Print View

The only Truly UL booze is everclear. 1/2 the weight of other hard liquors

It mixes great with tang and we named the drink spicy tang.

Ben F
(tekhna) - F
ultralight flask on 02/26/2012 14:17:20 MST Print View

Urban Outfitters of all places has a ultralight flask!
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=18791426

They don't have it online anymore but they had lots at the store here. Can't weigh more than an ounce or something. 5 bucks.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Everclear flavoring on 02/26/2012 14:29:08 MST Print View

I've occasionally gotten a concentrated cranberry juice in a 12-ounce aluminum can stocked on the store shelves right next to all the other Ocean-Spray cranberry juice products. It pours like syrup and you'd want to repackage it. But pre-mixed with Everclear, that's dang light and better tasting than Tang IMO. Cut it with three parts water (40 proof or so) to drink.

Add and dilute any mixed drinks "to taste". Do multiple steps of small additions - cheap and basic ingredients taste pretty good when the sugar, alcohol and flavor are all balanced.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Everclear flavoring on 02/26/2012 15:01:58 MST Print View

There is the old classic, Purple Passion.

50-50 mixture of Everclear and grape juice. For backpackers, you could use concentrated grape juice.

--B.G.--

Michael Trefzger
(michaeltrefzger) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
True Citrus on 02/28/2012 10:27:10 MST Print View

Great comments here so far. I tend to enjoy my whisky strait but if you must mix, the True Citrus products are quite good. I HATE the taste of artificial sweeteners. The True Citrus products do use artificial sweeteners but the taste is far better than Crystal Light.

Justin Mckinney
(sierrajud) - M

Locale: California
booze on the trail on 02/29/2012 20:28:26 MST Print View

You can't go wrong with hot toddies: Whiskey-hot water-a little sugar- lemon-a few cloves yum!!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: True Citrus on 02/29/2012 21:00:30 MST Print View

You take a lemon

Cut it in half

Squeeze out the juice

Take that and use it for beverage

That is what I would call true citrus

Jacob Kratavil
(kville79) - F

Locale: ADK
Dehydrated Mulled Wine on 03/10/2012 06:40:50 MST Print View

Was out in the ADK last month and two friendly neighbors from the north (Canada) who where sharing a lean-to with us had packets of dehydrated mulled wine. For the life of me I haven't been able to find it in the states yet. It came in standard square cider packets and tasted pretty good on a cold winter night.

Paul Ashton
(PDA123) - F

Locale: Eastern Mass
Booze on 03/12/2012 18:04:12 MDT Print View

Mixed drinks are fine. Warm some dark rum (the only kind worth drinking IMNSHO) add cold rum until it does not burn the lips; drink:)
I also love (most) single malt whiskies, and was introduced to a splendid US blend called "Maker's Mark" shortly after arriving here.
However, ANY booze is a bad idea when serious winter camping/hiking as it causes accelerated heat loss and reduced thought processing. OK when back in the cabin, Yurt or whatever, but not on the hills.

Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

Locale: Pacific NW
Spiked Cider on 03/13/2012 10:49:09 MDT Print View

Hot Cider, with Tuaca. You can hit it with some cream/creamer/whipped cream too if you like the roundness that milk adds.

VERY nice. Cider plus vanilla is the flavor.

Come to think of it, you could do cider plus whiskey plus a touch of vanilla and get nearly the same impact.

Nick Smolinske
(Smo) - F

Locale: Vicinity of the Grand Canyon
A few ideas on 12/11/2014 13:51:02 MST Print View

Resurrecting this thread to add some of my own ideas. After all, 'tis the season! I've been thinking about my big winter Grand Canyon hike (starting in two days) today...

-Hot Cocoa with Peppermint Schnapps. Basically a hot york peppermint patty. Tastes great with powdered whole milk added, but you'll be left with lumps of milk at the end - fair warning.

-Hot Cocoa with cinnamon, cayenne pepper and tequila

-Hot apple cider packets with Fireball, or another cinnamon whiskey

-Hot buttered rum - I tried this on a trip recently and it was pretty good, but warning about the spices, they won't mix in well put straight into the drink. The last sips of the drink were nasty. If I do this again I'll do it in multiple steps:

1) heat water and steep spices in a tea bag. Either use cinnamon and nutmeg, or - just had this idea as I was typing this - good earth sweet and spicy tea! I bet that would be amazing...
2) remove tea bag, add rum, butter and brown sugar
3) drink!

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
WARNING - WARNING - ARGH! on 12/16/2014 22:20:12 MST Print View

As illustrated in "Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book" do NOT consume alcohol straight from a sub-freezing container.

You may freeze your esophagus!

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Everclear - what is it? on 12/17/2014 02:44:01 MST Print View

So you go down to the shops and buy some Everclear. Do you know what you are buying????

I Googled the MSDS for Everclear and got the following results on page 1. You want to take the risk?

CryoPen Inc
EVERCLEAR (grain alcohol)
Beverage for human consumption
Ethyl Alcohol 95%
Rest ????? unspecified!!

Euclid Chemical Company
EverClear 55 gal drum
Aromatic petroleum distillates 30.0% - 60.0%
Acrylic resin 15.0% - 40.0%
1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene 15.0% - 40.0%
1,3,5-Trimethylbenzene 5.0% - 10.0%
Xylene 1.0% - 5.0%
1,2,3-Trimethylbenzene 1.0% - 5.0%
Cumene 1.0% - 5.0%

CH2O INC.
Ever-Clear
Isopropyl alcohol < 5% (by wt)
Quaternary ammonium compounds 0.0-10.0%
Ethylene glycol butyl ether 1.3%
Mineral oil 15.0-25.0%

Azer Scientific
Everclear - Xylene substitute
Aliphatic hydrocarbon 100%
No further explanation given

Cheers

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
Everclear Additions on 12/17/2014 05:11:26 MST Print View

Everclear........"Moon Shine", Ethyl Alcohol 95% (by Volume) 190 Proof, some US States prohibit the selling the product to consumers, excellent stove fuel....expensive $18 - $22/liter!

Jack McClure
(jackmcclure) - M
Re: Everclear on 12/17/2014 11:28:01 MST Print View

Unless you're looking to quickly forget or significantly alter your mental status for the evening, I wouldn't recommend Everclear. Its very easy to go overboard and let me tell you..the end result isn't pretty. Quite popular on the college scene.

Tipi Walter
(TipiWalter) - F
Sots on 12/17/2014 11:49:39 MST Print View

We are having an interesting discussion on Whiteblaze about how dopers and drunks are in part ruining the Appalachian Trail experience and esp around the AT shelters. See---

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/107864-Baxter-State-Park-AT-concerns-Wow

You have to go a little indepth until you reach the part about party types on Katahdin and alcohol abuse etc.

I often see backpackers carrying six packs and boxed wine and very often have problems with their behavior---giant bonfires in windstorms, loud yelling and monkey howling disturbing everyone camping nearby, trash, jim beam bottles in firepits, a dozen beer cans under a rock overhang.

I was a drunk sot during my USAF years '69-73 but ya gotta quit some time. This is just my opinion but there's no place for booze in the woods.

I know, people will say, "But I just take a sip before bed." Good for you. Many don't, the intention of many is to come out to have a party and get wasted. I see it all the time. It's discouraging and so I over-react and blame the Demon Rum.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
RE: Re: Everclear on 12/17/2014 13:02:10 MST Print View

+1 on Jack's NON-recommendation of Everclear as a beverage (it's fine for stove fuel).

One of my backpacking buddies was looking for the most UL booze solution for a GC North Rim trip we were doing, and calculated that Everclear would be the most alcohol for the weight (gotta love engineers). I stuck with my tequila, but those who drank the Everclear said that, even though they didn't feel all that "drunk" while they were drinking it, they were still feeling the effects the next morning. Not a desirable feeling for the hike out of Grand Canyon...

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Everclear on 12/17/2014 13:42:33 MST Print View

Everclear is OK, but somewhat dangerous unless you portion it out by the thimbleful.

--B.G.--