Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Best beer can set up

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Best beer can set up on 02/13/2012 11:45:05 MST Print View

I am looking for the best beer can set up any of you guys have. Show off the best systems you have put together. My criteria are that it all fits inside the can and is light and efficient.
I currently use a beer can (painted black on the bottom) with a supercat but it is not especially efficient. I like it otherwise. I'd love to find a way to make something more efficient without losing the compact, light design.

Ultra Magnus
(Ultra_Magnus) - F
Re: Best beer can set up on 02/13/2012 12:02:22 MST Print View

Mine is the best :D

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,2712.0.html

8.5oz for the whole kit including a hot drink cup and dishtowel, w/o sacrificing functionality or tolerating goofy/flimsy pieces (crappy windscreens for example, or rickety pot stands)... This setup is rock solid, stable, durable (as durable as beer can pots get anyway) but could be transitions to a taller/narrow ti pot (several evernew models would work) to improve durability significantly- albeit expensively.beer can cooksetbeer can cooksetbeer can cookset

edit- here's the detailed breakdown - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjdyPtwT_fnsdGxMdXlRNGVWUDZ5MVRDQzhkbmdoY0E

Edited by Ultra_Magnus on 02/13/2012 12:06:30 MST.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Best beer can set up on 02/13/2012 12:39:50 MST Print View

I like the burner, Magnus. I may have to try one of those.

ziff house
(mrultralite) - F
I was on 02/13/2012 20:54:05 MST Print View

just going to post mine but it looks the same as Magus's , but with a Ti screen/ esbit.

Magus what are you wrapping yours in ? looks like added insulation, strength too maybe?

Ultra Magnus
(Ultra_Magnus) - F
Re: I was on 02/14/2012 08:33:44 MST Print View

It's 1/16" fiberglass cord from McMaster Carr. I use the bail to lift the pot out of the windscreen, and then hold it by the fiberglass insulation to pour w/o burning my fingers. I'm not a fan of the silicon rings. I've got fat fingers and they are too narrow. Plus this serves double duty as a spare 10' length of cordage for emergencies.

Instructions to wrap the can like that were once posted on Minibull Designs website. I first saw it several years ago. I don't know if it's still on there or not. It
s the same stuff he uses as a priming wick for his pressurized alky stoves. (disclaimer- not trying to plug tinny. I'm not a fan, but I feel it's right to give credit where credit is due)

BM

(edit: tinny does sell the stuff at $0.20/ft. I'd compare that to McMaster, but McMaster doesn't tell you the shipping until after your order is shipped. I just checked, it's $0.34/ft for orders up to 50', part no, 8818K41)

(edit2: Ziff- I'd still encourage you to post yours. It's fun comparing notes and seeing what solutions others have come up with. I don't have any original ideas in my stove setup. Just bits and pieces of other kits I've seen on the web that I liked, put together into one kit that I'm pretty happy with)

Edited by Ultra_Magnus on 02/14/2012 08:44:29 MST.

ziff house
(mrultralite) - F
Ok on 02/14/2012 10:17:32 MST Print View

here's the thread i posted a while back, i needs a lid.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=51974