Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
My Newest Hiking Partner Isn't UL
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
My Newest Hiking Partner Isn't UL on 02/12/2012 08:49:34 MST Print View

Photobucket

Kirk and I had our third son this week, on Wednesday. Alistaire Kirkconnell was 10 lbs 7 ounces and 22" born at 38 weeks along. He was expected to be big but no one predicted him being that big...hah! Had I gone to 40 weeks he'd have been 11 to 12 lbs.

It is so odd to pick him up and realize he is heavier than some of you all's backpacks..lol!! But we love our big babies in this family - they grow up strong ;-)

I took him and Walker (our 22 month old) out on babies first walk yesterday - it was crisp and felt great to be outside!
Photobucket

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
My Newest Hiking Partner Isn't UL on 02/12/2012 09:33:22 MST Print View

A "big" congradulations!

My daughter was 7 lb 11 oz and 21.5" long and I thought she was a good size baby. :)

Edited by thomdarrah on 02/12/2012 09:35:06 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: My Newest Hiking Partner Isn't UL on 02/12/2012 09:36:13 MST Print View

Wow! 10 lbs 7 ounces and 22"!

Congratulations

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Newest Hiking Partner on 02/12/2012 09:37:05 MST Print View

Congrats!!
"I took him and Walker (our 22 month old) out on babies first walk yesterday - it was crisp and felt great to be outside!"
Outside and on the trail already! Looks like everyone enjoyed the day out.

Best Wishes To All!
Steven

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
My Newest Hiking Partner Isn't UL on 02/12/2012 09:51:48 MST Print View

Sarah,
Congratulation on the new member of the household!! Another new little person to tell about the natural wonders of earth on backpacking trips.
Now days the babies keep getting larger I think we can thank prenatal care and vitamins. My sister had two kid back in the late 80's they were about 6 lbs. not very tall,Then she had two boys in the middle of the 90's they were giant babies weighing in at 10 lbs. each and tall.

Have fun,
Terry

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: My Newest Hiking Partner Isn't UL on 02/12/2012 10:17:28 MST Print View

Terry, I'd agree. I have chronic high blood pressure (controlled through drugs) but due to that I was seeing my OB very often. The last 10 weeks I saw her 2X a week. High BP can cause tiny babies. Not this one...lol! My first son was 5 lbs (36 weeks) so it has been very different having big babies a decade later :-)

I wasn't allowed to exercise past 5 months so walking a mile is pretty hard...lord! But I did this with my last son as well - so I will get back there soon enough. I hope that like with Walker I can take him on his first real hike in a month or so, when it is warmer and not just stroller "hikes" (although we have so many nice paved rail to trails here!)

But for now I am grateful that Kirk has paternity leave (one benefit of working for a Euro company) and we finally got some sleep last night. Woooo! And my hiking partner Tori is due this week as well with her first baby - built in hiking partners ;-) Her baby is a girl so maybe one of my lil' Scottish Beasties can get betrothed...lol!

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: My Newest Hiking Partner Isn't UL on 02/12/2012 12:09:51 MST Print View

That's awesome! One of the coolest things I saw on a trail was a set parents, each with a young kid in their packs, about 5 miles from the trailhead with another to go before turning around and heading back.

Congratulations!

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: My Newest Hiking Partner Isn't UL on 02/12/2012 12:28:13 MST Print View

Congraulations. Glad to hear everyone is healthy, happy and even getting a little sleep. That's a big reduction in YOUR base weight!

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
UL Baby on 02/13/2012 17:24:20 MST Print View

Amazingly cute.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE: RE: RE: "My Newest Hiking Partner Isn't UL" on 02/14/2012 11:28:38 MST Print View

Congratulations Sarah!!! What a great way to start the year! My best to you and your family. :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: My Newest Hiking Partner Isn't UL on 02/25/2012 21:50:20 MST Print View

I had to post an update a little over 2 weeks out :-) My littlest one is nearly 11 lbs already. I have no clue how I will handle carrying him this summer ;-)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thank you everyone for the kind comments :-)

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Newest Hiking Partner on 02/26/2012 16:33:06 MST Print View

I just saw this thread. Where have I been? What a little sweetie pie! A super congratulations to all of you! And it looks like you lowered your base weight a teeny bit more - I see no braces! Don't tell me they've been off for ages. Again, where have I been?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Congrats to Your Newest UL Hiker!! on 02/26/2012 16:36:43 MST Print View

Ohhhhhhh..... Sarah... a HEARTY congratulations to you!! UL = Ultra Lovable -- and you even have the pic to prove it!! :)

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
My Newest Hiking Partner Isn't UL on 02/26/2012 17:19:47 MST Print View

I already congratulated you on your blog, but do want to add that Alistair is getting cuter and cuter as well as bigger and bigger!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Newest Hiking Partner on 02/26/2012 20:16:24 MST Print View

Kathleen, yep...I got the braces taken off after I had Walker in the summer of 2010. It was so great to be done! And I made up for it by getting an implant done right after :-D I smile a LOT these days! I have two more implants to do and I am done but I had to wait till I was done having kids as they require bone grafts (which don't take if pregnant).

Ben, he is a cuddler ;-)

Mary, thank you! And did I mention he has the fairest hair of all? I might get my ginger after all, much to my red headed husband's ire ;-)

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Congratulations on 02/26/2012 20:35:47 MST Print View

What a cute boy! I miss that smell and how they just mould to your body.
I thought my daughter was big, 8lbs and 8 oz, and 22.5 inches long!

Edited: How they" mould", not "mold". The latter would not be so fun

Edited by Kat_P on 02/26/2012 20:59:06 MST.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Congratulations on 02/26/2012 20:54:49 MST Print View

Kat, there is nothing like the smell of a new baby. I am a total baby huffer......

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: My Newest Hiking Partner Isn't UL on 02/26/2012 20:58:49 MST Print View

Congratulations Sarah! You should get him a lifetime membership to BPL now! Boy would he get over big time with that! ;-)