Hi again Dustin :)
Thanks for the kudos!
I've had many thoughts about letting the user be more specific when setting the trip parameters (exact weather, temperatures, from-to dates, etc.) - but eventually decided to go with the current interface and settings since its just simpler and friendlier to use.
Items that are optional are suggested in each category, for better coverage of the possibilities.
I'm willing to put some time and effort for adding a whole new start-page, maybe as a sub-domain (i.e.: http://backpackinglight.travelschecklist.com) for this community, if there's a demand for it.
1. as asked in my previous post:
> For providing a real solution for you guys, each and every item has to include its weight?
> If so, what about items that exists in few forms (different brands etc.) - and have different weights?
2. For simplifying the user experience - could the temperature setting (high/low temps) be replaced with a broader weather setting, such as:
"Hot" followed by sub settings: Dry, Humid
"Cold" followed by sub settings: Below Zero, Rainy, Snowy
3. Duration of trip: will the duration of the trip affect only the quantity of items that you will pack anyway?
I think that quantity is quite individual (some people can wear the same pair of jeans for a week, some can't).
if so, how about this:
after generating the list, each item will be considered as x1, and by adding a +/- buttons next to packable items, the user will be able to change the quantity of any item just the way he sees right for his trip.
nothing will be indicated next to the item if the user didnt change the quantity, but once he did - it'll add an indication for that (i.e: 'Socks x3').
After adding weights to the database I'll be able to calculate the weight correctly, considering the quantity.
4. Group vs Solo gear - I think that since items can be removed from the initial checklist, this kind of setting is not required. correct me if I'm wrong.
What do you think?
By the way - I've updated the website few hours ago. recent changes include:
* The checklist is now divided to few tabs, to reduce the clutter
* General bug fixes + Saving checklists works much better now (had some bugs)
Next version/s will include:
* An undo button, after an item/category was removed
* Publishing checklists, as explained earlier in this thread
* Exporting to excel
I'd love to hear some more of voices in this community regarding this project, a higher demand will motivate me :)