How to make a flux ring?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Gene .
(Tracker)

Locale: New England
Re: re: How to make a flux ring on 02/08/2007 11:54:42 MST Print View

Tony, yes, that's what I am thinking. I thought of making the cozy 3/4th's the depth/height of the pot/cup. This would save weight and prevent it from catching fire if flames licked up the side on a flaring stove (if made from Reflextix).

Foil seems to require too much care to me in the field to be durable for the long haul; but I may be tougher than you on gear. Maybe a foil formed bowl, one already sold, would have thicker AL and be more durable? It could be trimmed/crushed down as needed to conform to the bowl.

That said, if the purpose of the cozy is to be 'heat retentive' then which material(s)work in this regard? Reflextix bubble wrap, HD AL foil, foam, neoprene; for the weight? Ahem, Mr Nisley,Bill F, anyone else with more specs' than i care to chime in here?

Cool stove in that first post's picture Tony! Nice flub!

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle
re: How to make a flux ring on 02/08/2007 14:57:34 MST Print View

Hi Gene,

I think you are right with the foil not being durable enough for long hauls. Reflextix is available here in Australia and I will be trying to get some soon to evaluate it, in the meantime I am going to test foil and sarking.

With the first picture the stove is proto type of a stove that I am developing from an idea that I read about by an BPL articles by Roger Caffin.

Selecting a Canister Stove for Cold Weather Backpacking
Part I: Stove and Fuel Fundamentals

Selecting a Canister Stove for Cold Weather Backpacking
Part II: Commercially Available Canister Stove Systems

My latest stove is one of the stoves featured in : Do It Yourself Projects to Reduce Canister Stove Weight

I am currently developing another cold weather bottom feed canister stove that I hope to have finished soon. This new stove is one from an idea that Roger suggested that I try in some correspondence with him last year. If the idea works then I will develop a lightweight version using aluminium and titanium.

Here two pictures othe first is a cold weather ideas prototype and the second is of my last stove.

Tony

Idea prototype cold weather stove

latest cold weather stove

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Flame Resistant Cozy Insulation on 02/09/2007 08:49:04 MST Print View

Okay, so this is something I've looked at in the past and I've gotten some product samples way back when but can't remember what company I got them from... point is, there is a 'neoprene-like' substance that uses silicone as it's base material and is flame resistant and temp resistant up to like >600 deg F

Silicone Foam is the general name of the material (I think)....

SNAP! I found the company in my email... CSHyde... I still haven't gotten around to playing with the samples...

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Flame Resistant Cozy Insulation on 02/09/2007 09:00:54 MST Print View

Thanks for the link! This may just be exactly what I want for a cozy. Lets us know when you've had a chance to experiment with your samples.