Forum Index » GEAR » Brooks Pure Grit- A quick look.

Display Avatars Sort By:
P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: "Brooks Pure Grit- A quick look." on 03/07/2012 21:28:59 MST Print View

I would LOVE to try a pair of the minimalist New Balances but they just don't fit my foot. I tried a half and full size larger than my normal shoe and that still didn't work. Stupid goofy feet.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Re: "Brooks Pure Grit- A quick look." on 03/07/2012 21:34:21 MST Print View

And if you want to see some goofy feet, here's a photo of mine. Notice the I wear my climbing shoes a tad, ok a lot smaller than my normal shoe size big toe. Hahaha. I'm surprised any shoe fits my foot.

Feet

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Brooks Pure Grit- A quick look." on 03/07/2012 21:49:27 MST Print View

Paul,

Can you grasp objects with those things?

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: "Brooks Pure Grit- A quick look." on 03/07/2012 21:54:33 MST Print View

I can probably beat you in Jenga.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Brooks Pure Grit- A quick look." on 03/07/2012 22:14:18 MST Print View

Jenga?

Talk to me when you can play Piano Sonata No.32 in C Minor.

;-)

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: "Brooks Pure Grit- A quick look." on 03/07/2012 22:27:07 MST Print View

With my toes? No problem. Hahahhahaha.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: "Brooks Pure Grit- A quick look." on 03/08/2012 04:48:01 MST Print View

I thought I'd have the same issue initially and was worried given how rocky and rooty our trails are out here, but I had zero problems on a recent trip that included rocks, roots, stream crossings, and a fair bit of bushwhacking. The leaf cover didn't help any either. I was pleasantly surprised but it could just be that my body has developed an increased sense of foot placement over the years. I also only ran on short sections since it was a hike. If I had been doing a trail run or pushing a 30 mile day I might have different results. I expect to get in a lot more trail time with them and my views may change some through the progression.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: "Brooks Pure Grit- A quick look." on 03/08/2012 08:05:09 MST Print View

The split toes might actually make some sense in a shoe with a wide toe box. I often used Chaco sandals for both hiking and sometimes running in the mountains. When I used the Z1 Chacos (without toe straps) my feet slid around a lot on the footbeds, especially in the rain. Using the Z2's though (with tow straps) my feet are very secure all the time, even in the rain. Japanese high-rise construction workers and tree farmers also use light split toe shoes for safety and more agility when climbing. Could be the split toes in these shoes might hold the feet more in place, though I haven't used them or even seen them.

William Parker
(parkerwp) - MLife
Pure Grit and Backpacking on 08/04/2013 21:08:26 MDT Print View

Bookmarked this discussion. I'm not a long distance runner, but I just picked up a pair of the Pure Grit 2s for HST from Crescent Meadow to Whitney. Pairing with the MH Seta Strapless Gater for Scree. I wear the Pure 2s for regular running. I'll do a write up on how they (and I) fared when I get back. Cheers until then.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Re: "Brooks Pure Grit- A quick look." on 12/12/2013 17:13:22 MST Print View

Thanks for the write up Eugene. I thought I'd bump this and see if anyone is still paying attention.

My second pair of Pure Grit's are in the sunset of their life and I'd been looking around at available options. I tried on the 2's today and they just didn't feel quite right to me. Maybe slightly narrower and a little firmer mid to forefoot... I dunno, they just didn't give me the same warm fuzzy that my original two pairs did. In the originals I really like the snug fit on my mid foot and the roomy toe box. Their weight and also the minimal drop (I don't handle zero drop well) are perfect for me.

My only complaint with these shoes has been traction on wet/frozen stuff. Wet rock surfaces are bad news as is anything frosty or frozen, albeit trouble for most shoes in that case. I'm really considering picking up a 3rd pair of the original models (they're still around and bargain priced) and putting some sheet metal screws threw the bottom for added grip. Whatever I get will be my shoe for the upcoming Zion traverse in spring.

BTW, I've backpacked in them some and I like them a lot for that... except on slippery rocks of course.

Edited by JacobD on 12/12/2013 17:15:30 MST.