Burn compression
Display Avatars Sort By:
Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
Burn compression on 02/10/2012 18:21:39 MST Print View

Hi all,

I just picked up a super burn off the gear swap. Instead of the usual bungee compression it has two compression straps on each side.

Now, I would imagine my burn will be packed (mostly) full for the trips I do, but if you have experience with the two compression systems, which would you prefer? I can see the compression straps on the super burn being helpful for carrying my fly rod. Thoughts?

Edited by aaronufl on 02/10/2012 18:23:05 MST.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Burn Compression its a good thing on 02/10/2012 19:11:21 MST Print View

Definately keep those straps. I have a standard burn and I find out that the lack of a normal compression system is a problem. I find the load shifts around particularly at the bottom of the pack. I've tried cinching it down from the top tightening with the cord etc. Its not horrible but its not great either. I think two compression straps on either side would be way better. You probably won't compress the pack's volume all that much but just tightenign it up a bit after its packed will make it a lot firmer and less likely to move around.

Edited by Cameron on 02/10/2012 19:44:02 MST.

brent driggers
(cadyak) - MLife

Locale: southwest georgia
Super Burn on 02/10/2012 21:14:35 MST Print View

I love the compression straps. They work great to hold my fishing rod or a trekking pole so that I can fish.

superburn

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Burn compression on 02/11/2012 01:22:54 MST Print View

Ron put three side compression straps on my Burn and they've been great. Really helps me off load gear (my tent) when the food load gets larger on longer trips.

I sometimes just use the top two straps and other times all three. If you are looking for better compression without adding the criss-crossed bungee cords, I made a minor enhancement to both my Burn and Newt which really helps compress a smaller load. Cut one of the knots off of the elastic cord in the top of the mesh pocket (or solid pocket on the super Burn) or better yet replace the cord with a slightly longer piece of bungee cord and add a cord lock to it (like the water bottle pockets on the Burn). The draw cord really helps compress the top of the pack when it's not quite full.

Side straps on Burn