Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Antibacterial Wet Wipes/ Fire starter?
Display Avatars Sort By:
K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Antibacterial Wet Wipes/ Fire starter? on 02/10/2012 18:10:27 MST Print View

This thread may exist, but I bought some Antibacterial wet wipes for $1.00 for 18 pack at office depot here in San Diego. They weigh 0.15oz, are about 5x5inches and yes they burn, the wrapper left over would not even show up on my scale. This will be a new alternative to bringing the liquid version.

ww

Phillip Colelli
(pdcolelli42)

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com
Re: Antibacterial Wet Wipes/ Fire starter? on 02/10/2012 20:04:16 MST Print View

Great find and great picture. Any idea on approximately how long it burned? That's a great price too. I wonder how easy these would be to find in small trail towns. I suppose a grocery store may have something equivalent.

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
citrus on 02/12/2012 13:36:00 MST Print View

make sure you keep them with your food though, as they'll attract animals due to the smell..

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: citrus on 02/12/2012 14:17:03 MST Print View

>"as they'll attract animals due to the smell.."

That's definitely true in Africa. We learned that the locals are very careful about citrus scents in elephant country. Scared the scat out of us when they came around the trees towards our lunch spot where we'd peeled oranges!

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
RE: Citrus on 02/12/2012 15:40:04 MST Print View

I did try to use up the liquid in it before the fire test, it did not light up fast, but it was dry, burned for about 10sec. And as to the Citrus smell, I didn't smell any citrus at all on them. Any yes, I pack my scented items with my food. No elephants for me! But plenty of Alaska Browns.

Jack Hoster
(OrlandoHanger) - F
Antibacterial Wet Wipes/ Fire starter? on 02/18/2012 16:06:53 MST Print View

"That's definitely true in Africa. We learned that the locals are very careful about citrus scents in elephant country. Scared the scat out of us when they came around the trees towards our lunch spot where we'd peeled oranges!"

Thanks for the heads up! I haven't met any elephants hiking yet, but would hate to have them stomp around my camp looking for nuts.

Maybe unscented ones would work.

Ron Berry
(squishware)

Locale: Southwest Florida
Antibacterial Wet Ones on 07/12/2012 08:17:21 MDT Print View

On multi day trips I use an antibacterial Wet Ones as TP and another for the hands after.

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
Similar Post on 09/12/2012 07:59:18 MDT Print View

I ran into this a while ago and made a similar post!

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=39877