Forum Index » Chaff » Where do you lie on the political/moral compass?

Display Avatars Sort By:
jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Lower Left Quadrant for me on 02/10/2012 14:38:51 MST Print View

-3.75, -6.36

Being like Ghandi isn't so bad

Actually, anyone that believes what they believe is okay

What bugs me is people that occupy the government and then enrich themselves and their supporters by passing tax law, government spending, regulations,...

What bugs me even more is when those people con legitimate believers into voting for them

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Re: Where do you lie on the political/moral compass? on 02/10/2012 15:28:33 MST Print View

hovering near Ghandi and Nelson Mandela but not as far down as the Dalai Lama.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Where do you lie on the political/moral compass? on 02/10/2012 15:29:58 MST Print View

Me.
t7ot7

This is interesting. No wonder I didn't like G.W.
asdfads

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Where do you lie on the political/moral compass?" on 02/10/2012 15:34:02 MST Print View

Economic Left/Right: -4.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.38

graph

Duane Hall
(PKH) - M

Locale: Nova Scotia
Ultalight moral compass on 02/10/2012 15:35:16 MST Print View

Need another quadrant for don't give a rat's ass.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Your Political/moral Compass and its Consequences on 02/10/2012 15:44:29 MST Print View

Looking at Robert Mugabe, the man who has brought Zimbabwe to its knees, it seems ironic, doesn't it, that one can be at once a very left-leaning liberal, and also very authoritative!

But actually, we've seen this over and over again -- along with the catastrophic and bloody aftermaths: the French Revolution, the Mexican Revolution (PRI) and of course, the Bolshevik and later Chinese communist revolutions! And lest we forget, the bloodiest of them all: Pol Pot of Cambodia!

Edited by ben2world on 02/10/2012 15:45:23 MST.

Paul Mason
(dextersp1) - F
All Strongly Agree on 02/10/2012 15:56:31 MST Print View

http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=0.00&soc=4.36

For the hell of it I selected strongly agree for all the questions.

I don't give much credence to the test - think about it- how did they determine the Bush - Hitler - Gandhi numbers?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Where do you lie on the political/moral compass? on 02/10/2012 15:58:41 MST Print View

Economic Left/Right: -5.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.38

.graph

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: Where do you lie on the political/moral compass? on 02/10/2012 16:52:17 MST Print View

This placed me in the lower left quadrant neither borderline nor extreme, which does not surprise me ... but gotta ask So bleeping what?

Some of the survey questions invite strong knee-jerk responses ... that's a useful tool if we're designing a survey with a particular outcome in mind but not if gaining information is the goal.

Others attempt to simplify nuanced issues into cut&dried choices.

One of the simpler examples:

Charity is better than social security as a means of helping the genuinely disadvantaged.

Of course "charity" (if charity is defined as personal giving) is always better than large scale institutional programs (government or otherwise). But is the reality of "charity" adequate to address the problem? And then there's the "give a fish" vs "teach how to fish" question which would argue that giving material help is never the right choice. Would that be correct if the person is so malnourished that waiting to learn how to fish puts the subject at risk of even greater (permanent) harm?

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Well... on 02/10/2012 18:24:52 MST Print View

I started to do this....then I realized these are the same types of questions on retail job (REI, Sports Authority, etc) "applications. And we all know how knowledgeable those companies employees are......

I will say this: I STRONGLY DISAGREE with "tests" like this one.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F - M

Locale: Oregon
Where do you lie on the political/moral compass? on 02/10/2012 18:28:00 MST Print View

Reagan Conservative:

Economic Left/Right: 3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.10chart

I agree with Paul, and strongly disagree with these poles.

Edited by bigfoot2 on 02/10/2012 18:29:04 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Well... on 02/10/2012 18:34:30 MST Print View

"I will say this: I STRONGLY DISAGREE with "tests" like this one."

I started taking the test as well and then became frustrated, but for different reasons. If the options are "agree/disagree" and then an emphatic "strongly agree/disagree", then there is something missing for me. Where is the "somewhat" agree/disagree?
I did nor finish it but my hunch is I might be near the middle on left/right and quite low (-) on the Social Libertarian/Authoritarian.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Well... on 02/10/2012 18:40:43 MST Print View

I agree with many of the points made about how the test is flawed. There were several questions that needed clarification, context, contingencies, etc. However, I simply view these types of tests as more or less "fun." Something goofy to pass the time and compare with peers across the globe. It does not define you.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Where do you lie on the political/moral compass?" on 02/10/2012 18:48:28 MST Print View

I'm curious how they got Obama, Romney, Bush, etc. to take the test....

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: "Where do you lie on the political/moral compass?" on 02/10/2012 18:56:48 MST Print View

"I'm curious how they got Obama, Romney, Bush, etc. to take the test...."

They didn't, silly. Lobbyists took it for them......

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Right in the Daili Lama's wheelhouse on 02/10/2012 18:57:00 MST Print View

Just about the same score.

Big hitter, the Lama.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
"Where do you lie on the political/moral compass?" on 02/10/2012 19:02:04 MST Print View

Wow.

So I answered every question with the most offensive answer I could think of, such as I "Strongly Agree" with statements like "Our race has many superior qualities, compared with other races" and the one about disabled people not be allowed to reproduce...

Guess where I ended up?
Upper right, baby, just above George Bush.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
"Where do you lie on the political/moral compass?" on 02/10/2012 19:09:03 MST Print View

I guess they never asked the Dalai Lama about being on the take from the CIA, Apple Computer ads (made in China, how ironic), all the while being a divinely inspired incarnation of a god/king that heads a government/religious sect/nation fueled by religious nepotism and superstition...
Doesn't sound so progressive to me.

Edited by xnomanx on 02/10/2012 19:21:50 MST.

a b
(Ice-axe)
Political/Moral compass on 02/10/2012 19:23:07 MST Print View

Hilarious

Well, I guess my chances of holding political office are dashed now.

John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
Leftist Rightwinger on 02/10/2012 19:25:23 MST Print View

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.15

Almost got a bulls-eye.....do I win a prize?

As a side note - if this is my political compass, am I lost?