Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
HOW I NEARLY KILLED MY FATHER
Display Avatars Sort By:
eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
HOW I NEARLY KILLED MY FATHER on 02/10/2012 10:55:29 MST Print View

more at link below ...

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/out-of-bounds/How-I-Nearly-Killed-My-Father.html

THE DESCENT OF Tenaya Canyon has trap written all over it. Some who’ve through-hiked it refer to the place as the Bermuda Triangle of Yosemite, and apparently rangers rescue and recover folks from it all too often.

“So you decided to go for a swim back there?” I joked, trying to break the tension.

“That is about as close as I’ve come to dying,” he said softly. “The water was over my head, and I very nearly lost my glasses. It was all I could do to get back to the rocks.”

I was horrified. My father had almost drowned, and I was the one who’d almost drowned him. I thought back to how I’d continued to pay out rope and what might have happened. I imagined him swallowing water and going down, while I obliviously held on to the rope until he floated into view. In my 25 years guiding, caution, skill, and good luck have kept any client of mine from serious harm. The thought that I’d break that streak with my own father shook me to the core.

My dad was horrified, too. After all his years in the mountains, to realize that he’d been tired enough to make exactly the wrong decision at the bottom of that cliff was sobering.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: HOW I NEARLY KILLED MY FATHER on 02/12/2012 21:24:26 MST Print View

Thanks - well written article, and very interesting. Glad to know that it ended up just fine.