Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Polycro Tarp Tested! on 07/22/2013 18:03:55 MDT Print View

Thinking
Aggressive , moi ?
we will see about that!

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Polycro Tarp Tested! on 07/22/2013 19:00:04 MDT Print View

I can only imagine a charging bear when you see it coming at you the whole way.
No, surprise, you're just crapen yourself the whole time watching it come toward you.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Polycro Tarp Tested! on 07/22/2013 19:21:08 MDT Print View

I used a .34 oz cuben tarp for my first JMT.

I was explicitly told to camp "below treeline", in the trees, and out of the wind.

The fabric itself has always been strong enough.
It's the seams and guy points that have been problematic.

Edited by greg23 on 07/22/2013 20:27:01 MDT.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: Re: Polycro Tarp Tested! on 07/22/2013 20:24:50 MDT Print View

Thanks.
Since thats what gave out on me with the dog, I'll have to strengthen them some.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Polycro Tarp Tested! on 07/22/2013 20:49:36 MDT Print View

Franco, you left out the "frame" for the photo :)

Framed marmot

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Locale: Northern California
Polycryo Tarp With Closable Ends on 11/17/2013 14:08:25 MST Print View

Just came up with a new idea for my polycryo tarps. I doubled over some duct tape along the ends and stitched in zippers. Also put in two more tie outs about 4" from the base at each end. When zipped and staked it forms a nice hexagon 7.5' long x 4' wide. Vent holes in the peak at each end. Ends overhang slightly for a nice eve effect over the vent holes and zippers. Sheds wind better in every direction.

unzippedPitched open

end viewEnd zipped closed

end side viewSide view of zipped end

zipper bottomBase of zipper

ventVent hole

With gearWith sleeping bag and G4 pack

Edited by GardnerOutdoorLD on 11/17/2013 15:34:55 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Polycryo Tarp With Closable Ends on 11/17/2013 14:43:20 MST Print View

Great idea to sew onto duct tape. Two other avenues for ends:

- check out the hammock tarps with end doors. Some have separate flaps that are added and notably without making a seam on the diagonal. The other method is to fold at a side stake line and cross the overlapping ends over. Those flaps can simply be folded back when not needed. You can use just one door to aid ventilation.

- the Borah Borahgami tarp uses one triangle that can be folded over to make a door when in a-frame mode. The open seam uses Velcro. You could try stick-on Velcro dots on your tarps.

BTW, I think these polycryo tarps have huge potential for use as SUL hammock tarps. They would need to be 10'-12' long.

Edited by dwambaugh on 11/17/2013 14:49:21 MST.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Re: Polycryo Tarp With Closable Ends on 11/17/2013 15:53:45 MST Print View

The trick for me is using a single 7' x 9' sheet, the largest I can get. I've tried adding flaps, but have not found a way that I that is sufficiently durable even after adding several ounces of tape. Here's how I used to close the ends:

beaked

BTW, I have stopped using nylon sail repair tape after several of the tie-outs let go. Now I'm using "Tough" 3M duct tape. And I don't "hem" them anymore with the double-sided tape that comes with the window kits, because it also fails. We'll see how this new tape holds up to winter weather...

Stephen Parks
(sdparks) - M

Locale: Southwest
Re: Re: Re: Polycryo Tarp With Closable Ends on 11/17/2013 17:56:46 MST Print View

"And I don't "hem" them anymore with the double-sided tape that comes with the window kits, because it also fails. We'll see how this new tape holds up to winter weather..."

Do you hem at all? What brand of double sided tape were you using? In reviews only the 3M DS tape seems to be universally liked (using the stuff for actual window insulation, that is).

I've been fascinated with this tarp idea ever since the first post, just haven't gotten around to making one yet.

Stephen Parks
(sdparks) - M

Locale: Southwest
Re: Re: Re: Polycryo Tarp With Closable Ends on 11/17/2013 18:12:49 MST Print View

"Here's how I used to close the ends:"

That looks like the "seam" would see more peeling load than shear. Peeling is harder for tape to deal with (as I'm sure you know).

If you wanted to make ends of separate pieces, could you tape them onto the outside of the main body, a few inches back from edge of the body panel? That way when you pulled the end piece closed, you would be wrapping it down around the taut edge of the main body. The tape would be in shear. And when you wanted the ends rolled back, they would rest neatly on the outside of the body. At least that's the way it looks in my head. If I had some time I would work up a scaled-down prototype.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Polycryo Tarp With Closable Ends on 11/17/2013 19:58:54 MST Print View

I don't hem them at all anymore.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Re: Polycryo Tarp With Closable Ends on 11/20/2013 11:06:29 MST Print View

> BTW, I have stopped using nylon sail repair tape after several of the tie-outs let go.

Good, I was wondering if I'd done something wrong. LOL. I will use longer pieces next time to get more surface area since I much prefer the nylon tape to the tough duct tape, but it doesn't seem to stick as well. It's so much lighter that I can use a lot more though.

I like your new ends, but the duct tape is a major PITA to sew through. I'd guess the sail tape is easier though the adhesive will likely still gum the needle eventually.

BTW, the Duck brand patio door kits are 7x10. They are meant for indoor installation, of course, but I'm not sure if that affects long-term durability. I got mine at Walmart on off-season clearance.

Mike Megee
(fx4hauler) - M
Just finished one on 11/22/2013 17:26:03 MST Print View

I've been following this thread for about a month and finally got around to making one. I used Frost King Stretch Window Kit the outdoor version. Hoping it might be a little thicker than the indoor version.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JINIZ2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did a few things a little different than what I‘ve read on this thread. For one I used filament tape instead of sail repair tape or duct tape.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVB7VT8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems to stick to the film well. So far so good. I used a semi flat shock cord as guy out points on the long sides (three feet from each corner) and ran the filament tape the full length of the ridge line instead of using a cord on the ridge line. Instead of taping a washer on the guy out points I used the filament tape to tape a light weight 1/2" strap on each corner and on the ridge line. The weight for the tarp itself without guy lines is 5 ounces. 10 stakes weigh 4 ounces. So I’m hoping that the entire tarp kit will weigh less than 10 ounces. The tarp kit will include tarp, guy lines, stakes, and ground cloth. I've set it up at my office because it's raining freezing rain outside right now. I’m going to leave it up overnight and then set it up outside tomorrow. I'll post some pics then.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Just finished one on 11/22/2013 17:48:29 MST Print View

I like the filament tape idea. I'm sure that tape distortion is a major factor in failure. The filament tape should do well with linear stresses.

I've wondered about indoor and outdoor films. The thickness is usually labeled on the box. Other than thickness, one assumption is that indoor film MIGHT be less UV resistant, but my first thought is that the tape packaged with the film is easier on indoor trim finishes.

Mike Megee
(fx4hauler) - M
Filament tape on 11/22/2013 19:07:39 MST Print View

The great thing about filament tape it has no (or at lease very little) stretch. So I could make the ridge line pretty taut. I have put some thought on the UV problem not only on the film but the tape. I've come to the conclusion that it might not be as important as I first thought, because being from Oklahoma with lots of bugs in the spring, summer, and fall I will probably just use this tarp during the winter and since winter has such short days I will be hiking most if not all of the daylight hours so the tarp will see very little daylight.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Filament tape on 11/23/2013 16:22:47 MST Print View

Mike,

Would love to see pictures, especially your tie-outs. Please let us know how the filament tape holds up to weather long term.

Mike Megee
(fx4hauler) - M
Been up all day on 11/23/2013 20:59:20 MST Print View

Put the tarp up this afternoon in 15 to 20 mile an hour wind. The weather guessers say it should get down to 18 tonight. Going to be sleeping in the tarp tonight trying out a new sleeping and seeing how well esbit tables will make coffee when it's this cold. Took some pics but I'll have to relearn how to post them. Will do that tomorrow. Watching Ok State play Baylor right now. Priorities, priorities. :)

Mike Megee
(fx4hauler) - M
Pics on 11/24/2013 09:29:22 MST Print View

Spent the night under the tarp last night. The only problem I had was with the string I used. The taut hitch kept slipping. So need to change out guy lines.
Here are some pics.

Tarp

Edited by fx4hauler on 11/24/2013 09:54:50 MST.

Mike Megee
(fx4hauler) - M
More Pics on 11/24/2013 09:37:06 MST Print View

Don't know why these did not load on the previous post. Hopefully will this time.

Side Tie OutRidge Line

Mike Megee
(fx4hauler) - M
Couple of more pics on 11/24/2013 09:40:31 MST Print View

Ridge Line Tie OutCorner Tie Out