Much lighter, and has great adhesion even when cold and wet.
Just made my third polycryo tarp using the ripstop nylon sail repair tape. Uploading photos of it pitched "high" for headroom and "low" for weather protection.
Didn't see the thread on using nylon washers but stumbled upon the same idea while wandering the aisle at the local hardware store. I used 1" O.D. washers on the side tie-outs and 1.125" O.D. washers on the ridge ends, which distribute the forces well.
My tie-outs are taped to both sides of the tarp membrane. I cut 8" pieces of the sail tape and fold them in half, tape to the underside of the membrane with the fold 1" outside the hem, stick the washer down, and then fold the tape on top of the washer and membrane. Corner tie-outs are at 45 degree angle to edges; side tie-outs are perpendicular. The wide tape spreads the forces very well.
You can see in the photo that I also use a small loop of shock cord at the side and corner tie-outs, both to keep a nice taught pitch and also to provide some give when subjected to high winds.
The big washers at the ridge line tie-outs are connected to each other by a ridge line cord running between them. Separate tie-out lines are knotted to the outside edge of the washers. This way all of the ridge line tension is maintained by the cord and not the membrane, and the membrane stays in place instead of being free to move on the cord.
7' x 9' tarp with 10 tie-outs (4 on each side, 2 at the ridge ends) weighs 5.4 oz.
With 40' of cordage (200 lb. kevlar bow cord), 2 graphite poles, 2 Nano stakes for the ridge line cords and 8 titanium shepherd's hook stakes for the side tie-outs, total weight is 12.3 oz.
I favor the A-frame style because it's roomy, but I'm trying to figure out a good way to enclose the ends with flaps and/or vestibule. The trick is accommodating different pitch angles for the sides. Here is a prototype with overlapping flaps that velcro to each other: