Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
myog hammock material?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Nelson
(jnelson871) - MLife

Locale: CA Bay Area
myog hammock material? on 02/09/2012 08:45:10 MST Print View

I really want to take a go at making my own hammock but have no idea what fabric to use or where to get it. I am aiming for something really light. Any suggestions?

Kat ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Fabric on 02/09/2012 08:50:30 MST Print View

I would go with Ripstop, which comes in different weights. If you are doing a single layer, which I recommend, and depending on your weight, look for either a 1.5 or 1.7 weight.
Your local fabric store may carry Ripstop; I really like Quest Outfitters for buying online.

Justin Nelson
(jnelson871) - MLife

Re: Fabric on 02/09/2012 09:12:32 MST Print View

Thanks kat. I'm about 175 so the tail end for 1.5 or should I go 1.7 to be safe?

Loren Baginski
(Bags4266) - F
here ya go 1.5 oz at 3.35yd on 02/09/2012 09:16:24 MST Print View

I used this material on mine, I weight 195. It has a nice feel too. Great guy if you have any questions

Wade Ford
(cwford) - MLife

Locale: NTX
MYOG hammock on 02/09/2012 10:10:41 MST Print View

At 175 you can probably do well with 1.1 oz nylon. Here is a good reference chart for personal weight vs material choice from a hammock mfr. If you plan on sleeping in your hammock you may want to make it a double layer so that you can put your sleeping pad between the layers.

Lots of good info here on making your own hammock

DIY Gear Supply has great materials and also some tutorials on making hammocks

Edited by cwford on 02/09/2012 10:11:47 MST.

Addison Page
(Nihilist_Voyager) - F

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!
re on 02/09/2012 10:28:10 MST Print View

You'll be fine with the 1.1. I weigh more and I do very well with it. I'm also 6'1'' and you don't need more than three yards (108") of fabric. Put a foot box on it and you'll have plenty of room and come out at around 6oz, maybe less :-)

And since this is a UL site look up how to make amsteel whoopies. They'll do you some good my entire setup including tarp (sans insulation) weighs less than 2lbs.

Justin Nelson
(jnelson871) - MLife

Re: re on 02/09/2012 20:29:03 MST Print View

Thanks again. I just installe whoopies on my HH hyperlite today. Love them so far. After looking around the hammock forums I think I am going to make a Asym style gathered end hammock from 1.1 ripstop and them create a bug net with rock pockets that I saw there. Throw in some whoopie slings for suspension, an adjustable ridge line, and dutch clips for my webbing straps and I think I should have a sweet setup that is lighter then my HH hyperlite with the option of removing the netting and leaving it home.