Forum Index » GEAR » 2012 Murmurs back at Gossamer Gear

Display Avatars Sort By:
Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - F

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
2012 Murmurs back at Gossamer Gear on 02/08/2012 17:52:35 MST Print View

I just ordered one on looks alone.

very excited about the pack, however, can anyone tell me why i paid $12.11 for the shipping of a $140, 8oz item from austin texas to atlanta, ga?

Edited by rbeard on 02/08/2012 17:57:22 MST.

Tyler Barcelli
(youngster) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: 2012 Murmurs back at Gossamer Gear on 02/08/2012 18:01:36 MST Print View

Awesome I've been looking at one as well. When I ordered my gorilla from them shipping was about that. They use FedEx and its due to the size of the box used.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: Re: 2012 Murmurs back at Gossamer Gear on 02/08/2012 18:09:42 MST Print View

at least it wasnt $49 for an express only option to canada...

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: 2012 Murmurs back at Gossamer Gear on 02/08/2012 18:45:18 MST Print View

GG ships pretty quick. That is probably the cost to ship via USPS in a Priority Mail Box.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Ask on 02/08/2012 20:17:10 MST Print View

GG. I know, shipping hurts. But it is for the little guy. -Everything or at least most things from Amazon ship for free if the order is $25 or more. So, if I need/want an item, it goes on my wish list until I can get to $25. And I digress.

Ryan Gabriel
(rgabriel) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Dr. Kracker on 02/08/2012 22:42:25 MST Print View

If it's any consolation, I received a box of Dr. Krackers (which I thoroughly enjoyed) neatly packed in the box along with my 2012 Murmur. I believe they used the cracker box to prevent any shifting during the delivery process. Worth the shipping? Yup! Since then, I bought two more boxes of that stuff (the crackers, not the murmurs).

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
2012 Murmurs back at Gossamer Gear on 02/08/2012 23:11:09 MST Print View

I'm so tempted.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
weak on 02/09/2012 00:43:18 MST Print View

Yea i paid about the same to for them to ship a 1.5oz 1/8 pad, a 1oz polycro grondsheet and a pack liner!!!! absolute bs.. I don't care what their excuse is. They could have put that in an envelope and put a stamp on it. shipping should never be more than 5-6

Samuel Kau
(Skau)

Re: weak on 02/09/2012 00:47:46 MST Print View

for comparison zpacks ships for 4 dollars domestic or 10 dollars internationally...

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: weak on 02/09/2012 01:17:00 MST Print View

I have bought a lot of stuff from GG and many other cottage manufacturers. You know the shipping price before hand. If it is too much money, then don't buy it.

I have been very happy dealing with GG. If I need a small item, I wait and grab a couple other things when I need them to combine items for shipping, or buy more than one, such as pads. I don't want GG to fold and stuff a pad into an envelope. I want it in a box.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
"2012 Murmurs back at Gossamer Gear" on 02/09/2012 05:29:15 MST Print View

Nice pack. Don't worry about the shipping. They could always add another ten bucks and call it free shipping for over $70, I guess. Somebody has to pay for it somewhere...you eventually, it doesn't really matter, but you would have a real complaint if they lost one in shipping. At least this way they are covered and will ship you another if the post office looses one...

Yeah, the cracker were good. Great on the trail!

Loren Baginski
(Bags4266) - F
Murmur on 02/09/2012 09:12:05 MST Print View

I bought the murmur when it was on sale. You are going to love this pack. Lots of room and mesh pockets swallow up alot. It can't handle my large section hikes but will be my go to in warmer months and shorter trips.

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: Re: Re: weak on 02/09/2012 09:27:56 MST Print View

"You know the shipping price before hand. If it is too much money, then don't buy it."
Nick FTW! It does indeed say what you're paying before you finish the order.

I also can't stand shipping charges for really light and cheap items (I'm talking polycryo ground cloth), but you can always call the company and ask if they can stuff the pack into a small USPS flat rate box. I think they used to do that if you asked nicely, and it can't hurt to check.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Shipping on 02/09/2012 09:52:46 MST Print View

"at least it wasnt $49 for an express only option to canada..."

+1

GG's shipping options to Canada are ludicrous. Worse than BPL's were. It's cut my orders down to one ever.

Edward Jursek
(nedjursek@gmail.com) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: 2012 Murmurs back at Gossamer Gear on 02/09/2012 10:28:27 MST Print View

I just had a similar shipping cost experience with GG. I own 2 of their packs and wanted a few accessories (hip belt pockets and a pad). Their shipping cost was very high, $12.95 (Austin to Seattle) for a $36.95 order. I emailed GG and they told me they will only ship priority so they can track the package. Joe at Zpacks ships much cheaper using USPS 1st class that comes sans tracking. My last shipping charge from Joe was $3.95. I don't need the tracking and wish GG would give their customers a cheaper option. I really like GG's products but I won't subsidize their shipping preferences. The shipping cost killed my GG order. I am putting together a small order from Zpacks and will buy their hip belt pockets instead and cut down an old Zrest pad until I find the pad I want on the Gear Trade forum.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: 2012 Murmurs back at Gossamer Gear on 02/09/2012 14:58:33 MST Print View

"I really like GG's products but I won't subsidize their shipping preferences. The shipping cost killed my GG order."

Yes, I purchased several items from GG a few years ago, but then I saw the shipping expenses shooting up. That is the one single factor why I haven't purchased anything else from them since then.

--B.G.--

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - F

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
Re: Re: Re: 2012 Murmurs back at Gossamer Gear on 02/09/2012 18:42:02 MST Print View

thanks for the discussion. i agree with most of you. if it was sent usps priority mail in a plastic bag, it would have cost $5.95 or less, and would have been delivered in 2 days most likely. and why not use the united states post office? gg puts a big "made in america" patch on some of their stuff, so you would think they would be all over it.

i hope that glen and team is reading...we love your packs, but the lack of shipping options puts a bad taste in many people's mouth...

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
yep on 02/09/2012 18:51:56 MST Print View

I have seen this a lot lately. I was going to buy a pair of gloves and a Light My Fire Firesteel at one place and they wanted $12.65 for 8 ounces. I almost bought some of the Golite Tumalo pants at their website for a friend but it was $9.95 for shipping on 7oz. Don't even get me started on Patagonia when they don't have the $75+ free shipping. Personally I always use USPS because it is always a better deal even for Priority and I ask the businesses I buy from to use it when they ship to me. So now I just write a list of the few items I want and I will go through to find a business with decent prices that will ship free on at least $XX.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Shipping on 02/09/2012 19:02:18 MST Print View

" I almost bought some of the Golite Tumalo pants at their website for a friend but it was $9.95 for shipping on 7oz."

Wow you Americans have it rough. Last week I shipped an 8 gram (0.3oz) stuff sack to a fellow Canadian. Because it had a buckle, it couldn't be called a letter so it cost me $15 for that 'parcel'. Canada Post got rid of their small packet and slow parcel shipping options within Canada, so anything that's not a letter has to be sent as a 'expedited parcel' or worse. I could have sent the same stuff sack to an American for half as much.

Edited by dandydan on 02/09/2012 19:03:13 MST.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
shipping woes on 02/09/2012 19:08:08 MST Print View

That same pair of pants in a Priority box would have cost ~$5 and I would have got it one to two days later instead of a week. Same for the others and the box is provided by USPS for free.

First Class would have even been less and maybe taken a day or two more.

Sorry to hear about all of that Dan.

Edited by bpeugh on 02/09/2012 19:08:56 MST.