Hello ya'll. Well I'm looking for the perfect pack and interested in your input. Heres my current pack line up.
1. BPL Absaroka Pack
2. MYOG Pack (frameless about 2000 cubic inches)
3. MLD Burn
The Absaroka is my favorite all aroung pack with two issues.
1. It doesn't have much in the way of compressiion systems. This isn't a huge deal on longer trips but its a bit annoying on really short warm weather trips.
2. The fabric is a bit too light and the seams will probably fail eventually.
Here's what I would like in a perfect pack
1. About 2000-2500 cubic inches of main bag capacity.
2. Good compression system.
3. Really durable and quality construction. Not just durable fabric but durable stiching that won't fail if I overload it a bit on a longer trip.
4. An interanl frame with the abilty to handle at minimum 40 pounds and ideally 45-50 pounds in a pinch.
5. A good hipbelt like the Absaroka thats connected to the frame and won't sag on me.
6. Lightweight 2 pounds would be ideal but no more than 2.5 max. If I can keep it light enough I won't be tempted to buy a lighter pack for shorter trips.
7. Affordable, I can't buy a McHale pack right now.
I could go to REI and get a pack that would meet all these criteria except it would weight 5 pounds. I dont' want that because I'd like one pack that can handle all my trips except perhaps short SUL trips.
Personally I'm not sure such a pack exists. I'm familiar with most of the packs that come close. There are plenty of packs by ULA, Six Moons Designs and others that come close but not enough. Most of them top out at 35 pounds, they seem to lack really solid hipbelts and have inadequate compression systems for my shorter trips. The HMG Porter comes close but its a bit expensive and I'm not convinced the fabric will hold up. Actually I'm more concerned the seams will fail over time. I've thought about asking Six Moons if they'd make me a custom Starlight pack and add three compression straps on either side.
Any ideas, anythign I'm missing/