Crazy for Quilts – How Quilts Became My Sleep System of Choice, PLUS A Review of My Favorite, the Stateless Society Custom Quilt
Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Crazy for Quilts – How Quilts Became My Sleep System of Choice, PLUS A Review of My Favorite, the Stateless Society Custom Quilt on 02/07/2012 13:01:57 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Crazy for Quilts - How Quilts Became My Sleep System of Choice, PLUS A Review of My Favorite, the Stateless Society Custom Quilt

Edited by addiebedford on 02/07/2012 13:16:18 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Crazy for Quilts – How Quilts Became My Sleep System of Choice, PLUS A Review of My Favorite, the Stateless Society Custom Quilt on 02/07/2012 13:10:21 MST Print View

Ray, nice writeup. I've started down that rabbit hole as well.

Just to note, The Stateless Society is no longer making quilts according to their Facebook page.

"We're officially out of the quilt business! Sorry, but I've made enough to become sick of them. Focusing on new things; custom and production knives, titanium things, u.l. siphon filter coffee brewing attachment, etc. I'll try to post more often."

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Quilts on 02/07/2012 13:36:28 MST Print View

Yeah quilts are awesome.

Just a FYI, BPL member BillyGoat/VirgaOutdoors is making quilts last I checked. He made me an awesome M55/900FP quilt.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Crazy for Quilts – How Quilts Became My Sleep System of Choice, PLUS A Review of My Favorite, the Stateless Society Custom Quilt on 02/07/2012 14:48:23 MST Print View

Javan was making me an all 7d, SUL, side sleeper wonder quilt, but it didn't work out and, as Travis said, he told me he is out of the quilt business. I was disappointed at the time, but figured it's only a quilt. In the end I ordered two quilts from Tim for the same price. One for me and one for my wife.

Ben Smith
(goosefeet) - MLife

Locale: Georgia
Re: Quilts on 02/07/2012 16:08:15 MST Print View

To take up some of the slack of TSS, I am also making custom specialty quilts. 7d/cuben mixes, etc.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re on 02/07/2012 16:17:11 MST Print View

Nice review. Luckily I had Javan make me a custom quilt before he stopped making them. Mine is much beefier, rated at 10 Farenheit, with extra down in the torso area. I have used it both on the ground and for very cold hammocking. Extremely well made with attention to detail, fits me perfectly and well worth the money. Too bad Javan became bored with quilts, but good on him for moving on to making things that still inspire him.

B. F.
(thrush) - F
Appreciate your work but... on 02/08/2012 02:03:29 MST Print View

why reviewing a quilt thats not produced anymore? It's like "Hey guys, look what cool stuff I got here, that you will never get, hahahaha!".

Roman Ackl
(roman) - MLife
Why? on 02/08/2012 02:31:33 MST Print View

Making a review about a product which is not available anymore? Sorry, but I don't really get that. This is a part review, part "why do I use quilts" experience report, part partial quilt market comparison. Sorry, but I don't get that. What's next? Reviewing a Saunders Spacepacker tent from the 80's?

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Why? on 02/08/2012 04:46:44 MST Print View

The review was written while Javan was still making quilts. Unfortunately, it kept getting bumped for other reviews (my understanding anyway).

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Crazy for Quilts – How Quilts Became My Sleep System of Choice, PLUS A Review of My Favorite, the Stateless Society Custom Quilt on 02/08/2012 07:09:42 MST Print View

ha ha

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: Why? on 02/08/2012 07:55:57 MST Print View

I don't see it as so bad, since others can still make similar things (in terms of quality, weight, and rating). Think of it as a review for minimalist custom quilts in general. If you can't get them from Stateless Society anymore, try GooseFeet or Virga or Nunatak.

Also, the title of the review is "How Quilts Became My Sleep System of Choice" with an extra review of "My Favorite, the Stateless Society Custom Quilt." Actually, Ray, I fell for quilts exactly the same way. Side sleeper, can't sleep on my back at all. Always used mummy bags and rolled imperfectly. Found a GoLite ultra on sale, got hooked, then moved on to a Stateless Society quilt... the rest is history. When I first got that GoLite, the only other option for quilts was Nunatak (as far as I could tell), so it's especially nice to see so many options out there now.

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Locale: PNW
Great Bag Maker...sad to see Javen Stop on 02/08/2012 08:52:09 MST Print View

I had Javen make me a bag for last years PCT. WOW... what a bag! It's not a quilt. I personally can't sleep in a quilt. I don't like the draft feeling when I roll around. I asked Javen to make me a bag with 3-inch 850 fill on top and a sweet foot box that goes from my calves down. The rest of the bottom is a sheet of intrepid. That way I keep the drafts out. He put in a short zipper to make getting in and out easier. It's the same width and length as my favorite semi-rectangular bag sold by Feather Friends that way I can roll around and even stick my knee out to it's side with comfort. GREAT BAG and a great guy!

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Re: Why? on 02/08/2012 09:02:15 MST Print View

Hey guys, sorry for the tease, but that definitely wasn't anyone's intent. As Chris mentioned, the article was written back when I was still making quilts, and nobody knew how badly burned out I was going to end up, especially me.

Ultimately I am a designer, not a volume producer, and likely never will be. I've got a lot of opinions, and insight about quilts having made many over the course of a couple of years, that I'm happy to share with the community which has been so supportive, but I've got new ideas, equipment, and skills, and I'm ready to move on to designing new things for that same community.

So all that being said, thank you all for the support, and apologies for no longer being able to offer quilts, but in the end it became too tedious for me to continue making them for a fair price, and still have time to explore other concepts. There are a lot more quilt makers around now than there were when I started, and hopefully they'll continue along the path of refining this essential tool of our adventures.

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Quilts on 02/08/2012 13:11:10 MST Print View

Thanks for a good article on quilts in general, including the design decisions that went into yours. I didn't find the fact that one particular quilt wasn't available to detract from the article at all. I'm going to pass this URL on to people who ask me why the heck I use a quilt. As a stomach/side sleeper, it makes a whole lot of sense. And as a four-season hammock hanger, quilts are almost a requirement. (I once flipped myself upside-down in my Hennessy trying to get in a 10*F mummy bag, and found myself staring through the mesh at several pointy broken-off limbs on a downed tree.)

The thing I like most is sticking my knees out from beneath the quilt, then bringing them back under after letting them chill for a few hours--a hassle-free way to ice them while I sleep.

Todd Hein
(todd1960) - MLife

Locale: Coastal Southern California
Content starvation? on 02/08/2012 13:14:08 MST Print View

I appreciate Ray's effort (and his enthusiasm for TSS products) but I too see this article as a product of bad editing: If the featured product is no longer available, the article should have been re-written or omitted.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Quilts on 02/08/2012 16:03:41 MST Print View

I believe that Enlightened equipment are also planning to offer some more exotic material options some time in the future.

Clayton Black
(Jivaro) - MLife
Re: Crazy for Quilts – How Quilts Became My Sleep System of Choice, PLUS A Review of My Favorite, the Stateless Society Custom Quilt on 02/08/2012 17:04:49 MST Print View

I'm glad to have his personal insights and details of his quilt and quilt experiences. Maybe somebody will read his article and step up and make something similar if needed/wanted. I'm content it wasn't cut or scrapped. Good stuff.

Kurt Lammers
(lammers8) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Fail on 02/08/2012 23:28:19 MST Print View

Consider this another unanswered example from Dr. Jordan as to how BPL, vs. the cottage industry, isn't stagnant. (Still awaiting that response). Pot, or Kettle? Perhaps we can get a review of the BPL Vapr Quantum Bivy next. Too soon?

Michael Arambula
(marambula)
Quilts you say? on 02/09/2012 20:18:43 MST Print View

That's a lot of cool looking tents, and good places. I have used my down bag for years as a quilt unzipped. Now i'm making my own quilt.

I Would love to use it in beautiful places, and cool looking tents.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Good read on 02/10/2012 08:04:30 MST Print View

I liked the article personally. Regardless of whether the quilt is available anymore, where else besides BPL am I going to see an article about a 14oz quilt? Haters gonna hate I guess.

Ryan