new hanger introduction
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Using Toggles on 02/13/2012 06:29:21 MST Print View

When using toggles with Whoopie Slings keep in mind that the toggle is holding the knot in place and IS NOT bearing the weight of the hammock. I also bought my toggles from AHE - they're basically cut pieces of arrow shaft and would fold in half quickly if I put the loop of my whoopie sling over them.

You certainly could use a stick or other piece of wood for this purpose, but I keep my toggles attached to my tree straps and thus they're always just where I need them.

Eric Braun
(Dukedante) - F
Re: Re: Re: Dutch Clips on 02/13/2012 07:17:40 MST Print View

Dutch has his own website: http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/dutchware/dutchware-view-all-products/

Justin Nelson
(jnelson871) - MLife

Locale: CA Bay Area
Re: Re: Re: Re: Dutch Clips on 02/13/2012 09:35:49 MST Print View

I looked there and dutch clips were the only product I didn't see. Ended up ordering them from JRB

Johnny Duke
(jd1987) - F
toggles and such on 02/19/2012 11:33:33 MST Print View

I cut my own toggles from aluminum arrow shafts that weigh .1oz for the pair. I've also used sticks to hold a Marlin spike hitch (MSH) which works fine if done correctly. The toggle doesn't have to hold weight but it does have to hold the knot. I use amsteel huggers and if I don't snug the MSH tightly on the toggles, then when I get in the hammock the toggle will break - so watch out.

Also whoopies are super easy and provide great adjustability. I recommend them.