I am planning a trip to Zion in late May (5/21 - 25). I've got the route picked (Lee Pass to the Valley over 3 days/ 2 nights), and the travel logistics. I've read a bunch of trip reports and websites. But there are a few things I'd like input on:
1. What can I realistically expecct the weather to be like?
- Temperatures in the high plateaus vs. in the valley
2. Any mosquitoes, snakes, spiders, chipmonks, racoons or other critters I should be aware of?
- Need to hang food?
- Is sleeping out under the stars OK, or will the critters pose a problem?
3. How dry will it be? I realize it's dependent on snowpack andd this is a dry year, but how much difficulty will we have?
4. I have heard the water in Hop Valley is pretty rank from all the cattle. I will filter, but do I need to cover the taste?