Zion National Park in May?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brett Valentine
(bvalentine002) - M
Zion National Park in May? on 02/06/2012 11:44:04 MST Print View

I am planning a trip to Zion in late May (5/21 - 25). I've got the route picked (Lee Pass to the Valley over 3 days/ 2 nights), and the travel logistics. I've read a bunch of trip reports and websites. But there are a few things I'd like input on:

1. What can I realistically expecct the weather to be like?
- Temperatures in the high plateaus vs. in the valley
- Precipitation?

2. Any mosquitoes, snakes, spiders, chipmonks, racoons or other critters I should be aware of?
- Need to hang food?
- Is sleeping out under the stars OK, or will the critters pose a problem?

3. How dry will it be? I realize it's dependent on snowpack andd this is a dry year, but how much difficulty will we have?

4. I have heard the water in Hop Valley is pretty rank from all the cattle. I will filter, but do I need to cover the taste?

Thank you!
Brett

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Zion National Park in May? on 02/06/2012 13:41:33 MST Print View

Here is what I know.

In May in 2007 it was cool in the morning and heating up to the 90s in the day lower down. It is usually into the upper 70s I think.

No rain for the week we were there. Higher up was cooler by a bit.

I had no issues with mosquitos. It was pretty dry. At the time we only did dayhikes so the other stuff I can't help you with.

Don Morris
(hikermor) - F
Zion in May on 02/09/2012 19:02:25 MST Print View

Spring in that country can be wildly variable. I have seen everything from snow to 100 degree weather during May in northern Arizona. Pay close attention to the weather report and prepare to adjust to variable conditions.