Forum Index » GEAR » Quilt with integrated hood

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Wright
(ABHiker)

Locale: ...
Quilt with integrated hood on 02/05/2012 23:24:40 MST Print View

I am interested in finding a down quilt with a footbox and integrated hood. No zippers. Can anybody tell me if there is a such a product on the market.

Thanks

Jeff

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F - M

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Thermarest on 02/05/2012 23:47:37 MST Print View

Theremarest makes/made one called the haven I believe

Michael Cheifetz
(mike_hefetz) - MLife

Locale: Israel
hmmm on 02/06/2012 05:26:07 MST Print View

what do you mean by "quilt" ?
I usually take that to mean something that is NOT closed in the bottom and under the neck and thus isnt really conducive of connecting a permanent hood....
if you mean a TOPBAG - (bag with no down on bottom but instead just fabric - then you indeed have the TAR Haven and i think the WM POD (which i believe isnt mfg anymore) and Rab top bag, and nunatak tobag and probabaly a few more that i forgot

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F - M
Quilt with integrated hood on 02/06/2012 07:52:14 MST Print View

A quilt with a hood will basically be a sleeping bag with no bottom, but I cant see how that would work.

AFAIK nobody makes one exactly like that except maybe as mentioned above.
Big Agnes makes bags that have a sleeve in the bottom for a pad, IE no insul in the bottom.

Most people either go quilt with a hood just for the head (which could also be used when not sleeping) or they use a bag.

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Re: Quilt with integrated hood on 02/06/2012 08:25:51 MST Print View

http://nunatakusa.com/site07/other_bags/catabatic_sl.htm

this is probably your best bet IMO

Rob E
(eatSleepFish)

Locale: Canada
Hood on 02/06/2012 09:59:03 MST Print View

I am thinking about building a MYOG quilt with a hood. I am usually sleeping on my side and when I sleep with a sleeping bag I basically have it "upside down" and have the hood draped over my head/neck/shoulders like a blanket over the top of my head. I have never been able to sleep with a mummy bag in the "normal configuration" tightening it around your head, laying face up. So, when I say MYOG quilt with a hood.. I mean, more of a flap.

Edited by eatSleepFish on 02/06/2012 10:02:01 MST.

Here There
(cowexnihilo) - MLife
Re: Hood on 02/06/2012 10:54:55 MST Print View

I'm usually a side/stomach sleeper, so I made a quilt similar to what you're describing. It basically worked, but I've since found that I prefer either separate headwear with a regular quilt, or a traditional sleeping bag for colder weather.

Give it a shot though, you might like it, and if not you can always cut off the extra flap and have a regular quilt.

Diana Nevins
(artemis) - MLife

Locale: Great Plains
Another Brand to Consider on 02/06/2012 13:15:15 MST Print View

Jacks R Better quilts have an optional hood which attaches directly onto the quilt using a Velcro-like tape system instead of a zipper. Perhaps that system would work for you?

joe newton
(holdfast) - M

Locale: Bergen, Norway
Top bag? on 02/06/2012 13:40:29 MST Print View

Rab produce these two:

http://rab.uk.com/products/sleeping-bags/neutrino_2/neutrino-sl.html

and:

http://rab.uk.com/products/sleeping-bags/neutrino_2/module.html

Jeff Wright
(ABHiker)

Locale: ...
Thanks for the responses but... on 02/06/2012 23:13:33 MST Print View

Still not quite what I am envisioning.

I would like something that can be opened up when I am too hot. I seem to put out a lot of BTUs when I first go to bed and spend more time than I like trying to adjust the mummy bag... opening the zipper until one arm is too cold, using it on top of me with the zipper open like a quilt fighting the hood to keeping it out of my face. As the night goes on and in the early morning I really appreciate the full mummy bag configuration with the hood.

I know there are top bags out there but they look like they do not allow for much adjustability in terms of girth of the bag. I am envisioning something that can be opened up wider around the torso to calve region yet tucked in under oneself to minimize airspace.

I know there are separate hoods out there that can be made to work with a standard quilt but I have the idea that I would like to keep it simple. One less extra piece of gear. No messing around trying to seal a gap between the quilt and the hood piece.

I want a hood that extends down to mid shoulder blade level in the back, a short foot box and wing-like panels in between that could be tucked underneath or sprawled out depending on temperature.

Does such a beast not exist?

Jeff