Sub 10oz/280g backpack recommendations
Display Avatars Sort By:
Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Re: Pack would be... on 08/23/2012 06:06:45 MDT Print View

The Newt sounds interesting, but I don't see it on their web site and the cheapest one that shows up in the "packs" link is the Burn at 2300 ci and $165. Do you have a link for the Newt?

Edited by staehpj1 on 08/23/2012 06:07:44 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
update? on 09/03/2012 00:10:01 MDT Print View

How is this pack holding up? And did you go with XS or S?

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Locale: Scandinavia
Re: update? on 09/03/2012 08:58:00 MDT Print View

Pack is holding up great! Still my favorite backpack that I own, though it does have some limitations which I already spoke of. I took it on a 5 day section hike of a trail here in Sweden and it did great. I am a bit harsh on my packs because I do off-trail and bushwhacking, so I did have to make a few repairs.

While cliff climbing, I jumped down from one ledge to the ground and one of my shoulder strap buckles broke. I was able to fix it up enough to finish my trip no problem (this was on the 3rd day) but just tying a few knots. When I got back home I emailed Joe and he sent me a new buckle along with a new top strap free of charge, rather than having to mail it all the way to him and save on shipping for us both (I will fix it myself, no bid deal).

I decided to change the top strap to something a bit thicker and sturdier. This is just a minor adjustment to keep my foam pad/clothing strapped on top firmer in place and compress the top of the pack more.

I also fixed up a small hole on my outside pocket (not sure what caused it, could have been any number of sharp sticks and rocks), just put a dab of seam sealer on it.

Oh, and it's size small. I am thinking about getting a size medium Zero in the future also made out of hybrid Cuben because I have been so happy with this pack. This is mostly just to have more space for food and a bit of extra clothing in the fall/spring. I was able to fit everything I needed near perfectly for a 5 day trip, and even took a bit too much food, but this was in August. I have a MLD Exodus, but not a fan of mesh and like the options of the Zero more (especially the roll-top closure clip), plus I also seam-sealed my hybrid Zero so it's very water proof. With other packs like my Exodus there is a need for a dry bag and/or pack liner and/or poncho.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Still using it? on 09/10/2012 13:53:12 MDT Print View

Hey I saw some pictures in your blog and it looks like you are using a different pack. Is this still your go to pack? What do and don't you like about it? Did you give it a wash, and have you noticed the due rubbing off?

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Locale: Scandinavia
Re: Still using it? on 09/10/2012 15:25:42 MDT Print View

Still my go-to pack. Not sure what pics you saw. On my latest trip reports, those were all done with it.

I like quite a lot about it. It's excellent for my needs from about May to October if I am doing 2-3 day trips, and can handle summer/warm weather trips up to 5 days. I am going on an overnighter on Friday and will be taking it. It's tough, comfortable, has lots of options (for example, I use a front bag clipped to the daisy chains on my chest most of the time), waterproof, and the roll top closure is especially cool/useful.

I was able to fix the shoulder strap no problem. I decided not to replace the top strap just yet. Also decided that I want to order a Blast 30 in hybrid cuben, for longer trips in the fall/spring or for winter use.

I don't like that the buckle broke, but it was easy to fix, and I tend to put my packs through a lot--I was climbing down a cliff, after all, and jumped down about 1.5m or so. Still not so sure about the thin top strap, but it has not failed me yet, just does not hold things down as stable as I would like them all the time, but this is really not a big deal.

I ended up forgetting to wash it, but have taken it out in the rain though. I have not noticed any rubbing off.

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
REI Stuff Travel Pack on 09/10/2012 19:53:22 MDT Print View

I have the REI Stuff Travel Pack and it is an awesome deal. 22 liters, 10 oz, $30 and made of tough material. For once REI didn't over-engineer a product. Simple shoulder straps, no hip belt (doesn't need one), and two outside pockets for a water bottle and snacks. Really a very cool product. Not cubin but not expensive either.

Edited by smeier on 09/10/2012 19:55:40 MDT.

Mike Schasch
(MSchasch) - F
Re: REI Stuff Travel Pack on 09/11/2012 17:21:42 MDT Print View

Hmm interesting. How much weight do you think it'd lose if the lid was cut off? Have any idea if the cubic inches includes the top loader? Think I might butcher one this weekend.

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
REI Stuff Travel Pack on 09/11/2012 17:44:03 MDT Print View

I just took a look at my REI Stuff Travel Pack and the lid pocket is small so I don't think it figures much into the 22 litres but it is sewn in there pretty good. The cinch top works well so the lid isn't very important to the overall pack features.

Greg Pehrson
(GregPehrson) - MLife

Locale: playa del caballo blanco
Re: REI Stuff Travel Pack on 09/12/2012 05:57:53 MDT Print View

I got an REI Stuff Travel Pack on sale and really wanted to like it, but it didn't work for me and I ended up returning it after trying it on a couple day hikes. The mesh side pockets are flat with no pleats or bellows, so when you put water bottles in them (especially wide ones like Gatorade, which I use) they really cut into the interior volume of the pack. I found the shoulder straps very uncomfortable, and I've used minimally padded straps before--they have a built in handle connecting them which lowers the bag on your back and, for me, had the buckles cutting into the front of my shoulders. Obviously fit is a very personal issue and YMMV. Also, unlike something like the Ion, the pack is not tall enough to accept a torso pad as a frame (which it really needs unless it is stuffed completely full) so I ended up using either a stiff plastic placemat or a CCF gardener's kneeling pad to provide structure, which brought up the weight.

Edited by GregPehrson on 09/12/2012 06:00:10 MDT.