Quilts: Katabatic vs Enlightened
Display Avatars Sort By:
Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Quilts: Katabatic vs Enlightened on 02/05/2012 22:08:50 MST Print View

I have a Katabatic Chisos quilt and have been extraordinarily happy with it. Probably the most satisfied I have ever been with any gear purchase. The reasons for my satisfaction are

1] The quality of materials and workmanship
2] The clip/attachment system is genius and is a highly useful feature, especially for slide sleepers or those that move around a lot.
3] Draft collar is well designed and functional.
4] Temperature ratings are very conservative compared to most sleeping bags. I easily take my Chisos 40 degree quilt to 40 degrees and am comfortable with modest sleep layers.

My next quilt purchase will be the Sawatch 15 degree quilt from Katabatic for shoulder seasons (Fall/Spring).

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Katabatic on 02/05/2012 22:14:34 MST Print View

I have an Alsek. Unlike other bags I have had (WM Summerlight, ...), the down stays in place nicely. It is filled sufficiently that the down doesn't fall to the sides. All the other bags that I have had now seem underfilled in comparison. I did not order any overfill on the Alsek and I don't think it needs it down to the stated 22F temperature.

The shell is Pertex Quantum, which is very light and silky and has good windproofness and DWR. The same fabric is used in the North Face Verto windshirt, as well as a lot of bivy tops. I find a bivy unnecessary under my full coverage tarp since there are no drafts with the pad attachment system and the shell fabric already has excellent DWR.

I have no experience with Tim's quilts, but honestly the Alsek is just about the nicest piece of gear I own and has the rare distinction that I cannot think of a single way to improve it. There is nothing I would change about it. That is the definition of 5 stars for me.

Michael Fleming
(TheColonel)
Palisade on 02/05/2012 22:21:43 MST Print View

I have the Katabatic Palisade and love it. A lot of people thought the quilts weren't wide enough so he now makes them in a "wide" option. Although I'm 6"4" 205lbs and have no issues with the normal version being too wide.