fishin' gear?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Cody Croslow
(Graelb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
fishin' gear? on 02/04/2012 22:41:07 MST Print View

Hello!

Last summer, I bought a light, telescoping rod and a fairly light reel, with a small tackle box of flies and some leaders... What do most of you take on your backpacking for fishing? And how do most of you cook the wonderful catch of the day?

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
UL Fishin Gear on 02/05/2012 00:58:48 MST Print View

Current Line-Up

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Locale: Scandinavia
hobo fishing on 02/05/2012 01:41:36 MST Print View

Depends on the trip, but the past year or so the set I take most is my hobo fishing kit. It comes in at 80g, and includes:

ziplock bag
stringer
5kg strength fishing line
small tin box for assorted hooks, weights
3 bobbers
string for trap line
small plastic bag to store cleaned fish

I need to get a light weight pair of forceps or pliers. I have been using a mini-multi tool for the job, and it's redundant as I always carry a knife with me (and don't need to other tools while I am out backpacking). It weighs as much as my kit, which ain't too bad, but I know I could do better.

I mostly caught perch and brown trout, and usually cooked them over an open fire with grill sticks.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: fishin' gear? on 02/05/2012 02:39:34 MST Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/tenkara.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=20989

Edited by annapurna on 02/05/2012 03:14:51 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
lt wt spinning outfit on 02/05/2012 10:03:37 MST Print View

I found this graphite spinning pack rod & multi-bearing reel on ebay for a song, it's got a very good action (for a multi-piece rod) and the reel is very smooth- I use 2# test w/ it and pack a few select spinners and some small hooks (for live bait if it presents itself)

I made a rod case for it, the whole kit and kaboodle (pole/reel/line/tackle/rod case) weighs 15.1 oz, add my 1 oz grill and I'm in it for a pound

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pete Acker
(pka45) - F
Grill on 02/06/2012 10:20:04 MST Print View

Nice grill, Mike! I'm looking for a grate/grill solution - can you provide more details on that please?

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Grill on 02/06/2012 18:05:16 MST Print View

I think I did a short write-up in the DIY section- cliff notes- titanium spokes for a bmx bike make up the grate portion, one aluminum tube is from a Easton arrow and the other is a section that I picked up from Ace Hardware- it is just very slightly smaller in dia than the arrow section so it nests inside the arrow- the spokes nest inside of the two outer pieces, so it's light (just over an ounce) and very compact when all packed up

Mike

Dustin Judd
(ddujnitsud) - F
Very nice. on 02/06/2012 19:58:48 MST Print View

I love that grill! I'm going to try out Tankara fishing this year to be able to bring fishing gear with me more often. I'm fascinated by it's simplicity and ultra light weight.