Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Gerke

Locale: Utah
Documentaries on 02/03/2012 15:27:59 MST Print View

I just signed up for Netflix. Mainly so I can watch documentaries. Watched a couple of National Geographic ones so far. I'm looking for ideas on good documentaries available on Netflix. I found one on the Appalachian Trail that I haven't watched yet. Do you guys know of any backpacking related documentaries? If not I'll take recommendations for anything that is really good and outdoor related.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Documentaries" on 02/03/2012 15:38:39 MST Print View

I don't have Netflix, but these are documentaries of quality and worth burning a few minutes watching, particularly Ride the Divide:

180 South

Ride the Divide

Running the Sahara

The Runner: David Horton's 2,700 Mile Run of the Pacific Coast Trail

Edited by Eugeneius on 02/03/2012 15:39:43 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Documentaries on 02/03/2012 18:32:28 MST Print View

If you are watching Netflix on a non-PC device (i.e., Wii, Google TV, etc.) then use your PC to search for titles and place them in your instant que, works much better.

I haven't looked for any Backpacking related documentaries, but there are several great ones set in the Himalayas and Antarctica.

I did watch a really long one recently about two guys who hiked hiked along most of the Amazon River (floated the rest); took something like 2 years to complete, it was a great watch. Can't remember the name.

Post any good finds you catch here, please.

Daniel McKinney
(ClemsonHiker) - F
Documentaries on 02/03/2012 19:39:09 MST Print View

Not exactly backpacking but 180 Degrees South was pretty cool. It's about an expedition to Patagonia.

Jeff Gerke

Locale: Utah
Documentaries on 02/06/2012 08:54:28 MST Print View

180 Degrees South looks like a good one. I've added it to my Instant Queue. I own The Runner DVD so have seen it a couple times, very good.

I watched the National Geograhpic Appalachian Trail documentary. Not bad, worth watching once. Had a short clip of Karl Meltzer when he was attempting the record but didn't mention who he was. You would have to know who he is to catch it.

K ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour on 02/06/2012 09:05:38 MST Print View

I cannot recommend this enough. It's coming up soon, from mid February through April. Showings in different cities will have different reels. If your town has 2 dates, it will be two different shows.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Documentaries on 02/06/2012 09:25:07 MST Print View

The Banff Film Festival will be in Moab when I'm there in March. Maybe I should go?

Diana Nevins
(artemis) - MLife

Locale: Great Plains
When Backpacking was the Only Lifestyle... on 02/06/2012 09:49:29 MST Print View

Not outdoor related in the strictest sense of the word, but still a fascinating documentary: Cave of Forgotten Dreams, by Werner Herzog.

K ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Documentaries on 02/06/2012 10:03:59 MST Print View

"The Banff Film Festival will be in Moab when I'm there in March. Maybe I should go?"

Yes Joe, if you can, I think you should go. Get tickets early, because often they sell out.
The only slightly annoying thing is that everyone shows up with " Mountain Hardware" clothing, to feel like they are part of the adventure. Other than that, it's a great event.

David Roach
(DRoach) - F

Locale: North America
More on 02/07/2012 20:47:34 MST Print View

Not all documentaries but climbing/hiking related. Should get you started. Enjoy.

Everest: Beyond the Limit
Everest: IMAX
Touching the Void
The Wildest Dream
To the Limit (Am Limit)
National Geographic: Everest 50 Years
127 Hours (I think you have to get this one delivered)

Regular movies:

Vertical Limit

One that look interesting but I haven't watched yet.

Amazonia Vertical

I'll update this if I find anymore.

Edited by DRoach on 02/07/2012 20:56:11 MST.