Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Documentaries
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Gerke
(mtnrunner) - M

Locale: Utah
Documentaries on 02/03/2012 15:27:59 MST Print View

I just signed up for Netflix. Mainly so I can watch documentaries. Watched a couple of National Geographic ones so far. I'm looking for ideas on good documentaries available on Netflix. I found one on the Appalachian Trail that I haven't watched yet. Do you guys know of any backpacking related documentaries? If not I'll take recommendations for anything that is really good and outdoor related.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Documentaries" on 02/03/2012 15:38:39 MST Print View

I don't have Netflix, but these are documentaries of quality and worth burning a few minutes watching, particularly Ride the Divide:

180 South

Ride the Divide

Running the Sahara

The Runner: David Horton's 2,700 Mile Run of the Pacific Coast Trail

Edited by Eugeneius on 02/03/2012 15:39:43 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Documentaries on 02/03/2012 18:32:28 MST Print View

Jeff,

If you are watching Netflix on a non-PC device (i.e., Wii, Google TV, etc.) then use your PC to search for titles and place them in your instant que, works much better.

I haven't looked for any Backpacking related documentaries, but there are several great ones set in the Himalayas and Antarctica.

I did watch a really long one recently about two guys who hiked hiked along most of the Amazon River (floated the rest); took something like 2 years to complete, it was a great watch. Can't remember the name.

Post any good finds you catch here, please.

Daniel McKinney
(ClemsonHiker) - F
Documentaries on 02/03/2012 19:39:09 MST Print View

Not exactly backpacking but 180 Degrees South was pretty cool. It's about an expedition to Patagonia.

Jeff Gerke
(mtnrunner) - M

Locale: Utah
Documentaries on 02/06/2012 08:54:28 MST Print View

180 Degrees South looks like a good one. I've added it to my Instant Queue. I own The Runner DVD so have seen it a couple times, very good.

I watched the National Geograhpic Appalachian Trail documentary. Not bad, worth watching once. Had a short clip of Karl Meltzer when he was attempting the record but didn't mention who he was. You would have to know who he is to catch it.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour on 02/06/2012 09:05:38 MST Print View

I cannot recommend this enough. It's coming up soon, from mid February through April. Showings in different cities will have different reels. If your town has 2 dates, it will be two different shows.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Documentaries on 02/06/2012 09:25:07 MST Print View

The Banff Film Festival will be in Moab when I'm there in March. Maybe I should go?

Diana Nevins
(artemis) - MLife

Locale: Great Plains
When Backpacking was the Only Lifestyle... on 02/06/2012 09:49:29 MST Print View

Not outdoor related in the strictest sense of the word, but still a fascinating documentary: Cave of Forgotten Dreams, by Werner Herzog.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Documentaries on 02/06/2012 10:03:59 MST Print View

"The Banff Film Festival will be in Moab when I'm there in March. Maybe I should go?"

Yes Joe, if you can, I think you should go. Get tickets early, because often they sell out.
The only slightly annoying thing is that everyone shows up with " Mountain Hardware" clothing, to feel like they are part of the adventure. Other than that, it's a great event.

David Roach
(DRoach) - F - M

Locale: North America
More on 02/07/2012 20:47:34 MST Print View

Not all documentaries but climbing/hiking related. Should get you started. Enjoy.

Southbounders
Everest: Beyond the Limit
Everest: IMAX
Blindsight
Touching the Void
The Wildest Dream
To the Limit (Am Limit)
National Geographic: Everest 50 Years
127 Hours (I think you have to get this one delivered)

Regular movies:

Vertical Limit
K2

One that look interesting but I haven't watched yet.

Amazonia Vertical

I'll update this if I find anymore.

Edited by DRoach on 02/07/2012 20:56:11 MST.