November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Golite SL-2 Nest in silnylon
Display Avatars Sort By:
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Golite SL-2 Nest in silnylon on 02/02/2012 18:45:03 MST Print View

I bought a brand new Golite SL-2 nest recently for $40 (the new shorter version, listed weight 24oz), when I got it, the actual weight was 28.35oz!!! So I pulled out the seam ripper and took the floor off. I had a long piece of 1.3oz/yd 66 inch wide silnylon which was almost exactly the width of the original floor. I cut to match the length, hacked up the original floor to make patterns for the bucket floor corners. It took about 4 hours or so and costed me $14.00 for the silnylon, and the new Golite SL-2 nest weighs 17.45oz.

Brad Walker

Locale: SoCal
Nice! on 02/02/2012 19:11:47 MST Print View

Nice work!

A year or so ago I had the same nest and did a rough calculation (since lost) regarding the weight savings from switching the floor out, as I was definitely considering doing it. They use some pretty heavy material for those floors. Glad someone less lazy took on the task.

I took the low road and got rid of the nest :p