November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Zoom Wars!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Zoom Wars! on 01/25/2007 11:04:12 MST Print View

Olympus carpet-bombed us with a host of new cameras today, including an 18X zoom model.

The good news is that it's fairly wide, being a 28-504 equivalent, and reasonably fast at f/2.8-4.5, and has image stabilization (it had better!).

I will remain in the skeptics bleachers as to the optical quality of such a beast, which heretofore would have only appeared on a video camera.

The competition is now obgliged to launch a 20X zoom. Can't wait.

Elliot Lockwood
(elockwood) - F
Re: ZOOM WARS! on 01/25/2007 16:24:39 MST Print View

Aww, but it appears to not have threads for mounting a 2x teleconverter!!

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Zoom Wars! on 01/25/2007 17:10:55 MST Print View

Just when I had decided which camera to buy, Olympus comes along and disturbs my thinking.

I am still inclined to go down the Pentax K 10D path, not UL, but a great camera

Victor Karpenko
(Viktor) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: ZOOM WARS! on 01/25/2007 21:53:54 MST Print View

Looks like a camera with a lot of capability. I am surprised that with all of the scene modes,it doesn't have panoramic capability. Even their small digital cameras have it. I took this one with pocket digital.Clouds Rest

Edited by Viktor on 01/26/2007 18:11:36 MST.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: @Tarptent
More to come on 01/29/2007 01:55:20 MST Print View

The SP550 should be available in a few weeks, till than we can speculate, small sensor (1/2.5") but could still deliver in most light levels. Sony will announce soon a couple of 15x zoom cameras very similar in size to the H5, and Panasonic will replace the TZ1 (10x zoom,very compact) with a version starting at 28mm.So , yes it is open warfare on the long range.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: @Tarptent
The Pana TZ2 is out on 01/31/2007 14:59:47 MST Print View

The Panasonic TZ2 has been announced. See details at