Apex compressiblility?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Summer quilt Questions on 02/01/2012 11:14:22 MST Print View

I'm trying to decide if i should make a Jamie Schott style summer quilt with down or Apex.

i like that apex wouldn't need baffles and i think 5oz layer would be similar temp rating to 6oz of down?

anyone have either or both they could show compressed?

other thoughts welcome also.

Edited by JakeDatc on 02/01/2012 13:36:22 MST.

Conner D
(cdipaolo) - F

Locale: SoCal
Just made one on 02/01/2012 11:46:37 MST Print View

I just made a 4 oz apex (owfinc) and .9 oz ripstop quilt with a formable footbox (no drawstring all velcro) and a clip for the neck. It compresses, surprisingly, to a 16.5 x 8.25 in stuffsack easily. I would make another if I had/wanted to. If you want me to post the specs and diagrams.
-Conner

PS: It weighs 15.3 oz in the sil stuffsack

Chris Muthig
(cmuthig) - M

Locale: Georgia
Re: Apex compressiblility? on 02/01/2012 12:36:41 MST Print View

I can't say I have ever tried to fully compress this quilt. Normally I just stuff it down into the bottom of my pack.

One suggestion I can make though is to not follow his pattern too closely. I made my first Apex quilt, with the 5oz weight at least, 50" wide up to the neck, and found that I had a lot of gaps around my neck. This is because the Apex does not gather as well as the down. So I instead tapered the neck down to 42" wide over the last 6" of length for the last quilt a friend bought from me. It worked so much better at cinching around my neck in this way, and was much more comfortable to use.

The guide on my blog is going to be updated in the next couple of days to demonstrate this change from what I have shown in the past.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Apex compressiblility? on 02/01/2012 12:55:15 MST Print View

well here are my goals. maybe that is an easier way to go about this.

lighter than my Sub kilo 20, good to 40s (summer temps NH/VT), fairly inexpensively?

so far i've thought of

5yd M90 folded, tapered, apex

5yd M90 folded, tapered, 6oz down

2.5yd m90, 2.5yd 1.1 ripstop, all sewn, tapered, 6oz down

5 yd 1.1 folded, tapered, apex

(folded meaning i don't have to sew the head seam)

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: Re: Apex compressiblility? on 02/01/2012 13:01:18 MST Print View

you will want a drawcord at that head seam unless you are making the quilt extra long, otherwise it wont close up and seal drafts. At least that's my experience.

-Tim

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Summer quilt Questions on 02/01/2012 13:39:29 MST Print View

changed this to get more ideas..

what do people think about M90 on the inside and outside? is the DWR annoying to sleep in? I could do M90 with 6oz of down a decent price. (any better suppliers than Thru-Hiker and OWFINC?) i don't like thru-hikers shipping policy very much.

Chris Muthig
(cmuthig) - M

Locale: Georgia
Re: Re: Summer quilt Questions on 02/01/2012 14:12:13 MST Print View

I took the 5oz Apex (with a Montbell Apline Light jacket) down to about 25. I think that you could probably get by to about 45 with the 2.5oz Apex (maybe with some layering if you sleep cold).

The guide I wrote on it uses the 1.1oz ripstop at DIYGearSupply and uses only 4 yards. The total cost is about 70 bucks including shipping. I am actually working on the edit of the design right now. The quilt with 5oz Apex weights about 19-20 oz and the quilt with 2.5oz Apex weighs about 13-14.

This would probably be the cheapest option, and I really like the Apex quilts.

This is my guide as it is now: http://kringlelight.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/sin50/ ‎

Hopefully it will be updated before the end of the night though, and the updates will appear on the same page. The new pattern should also only require 4 yards of M90, even though it isn't as wide.

Sorry I can't help with the down questions. I still haven't gotten around to making a down piece yet, but I think it may happen soon.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Summer quilt Questions on 02/01/2012 22:01:03 MST Print View

Hmm i'll look at your guide more tomorrow but i do like the drawcord footbox with some velcro to close it up further. I will probably not do a head-cord because i don't want things wrapped around there. In the summer i'm not too concerned with gaps. i could always throw my long sleeve shirt or something across or put it on if it came to that.

Joe L
(heyyou) - MLife

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr
neck notch? on 02/04/2012 20:47:29 MST Print View

Would it be too difficult to put a V notch for your neck so the remaining material would fold over your shoulders when you are laying face up, similar to an external draft collar? With velcro tabs, would that work when you were side sleeping? A draw string is lighter or the cottage manufacturers would be already building with a V notch.

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F
Re: Re: Summer quilt Questions on 02/05/2012 08:21:50 MST Print View

>>what do people think about M90 on the inside and outside? is the DWR annoying to sleep in?

M90 taffeta on the inside is very comfortable. The DWR IE shiny side goes inside the quilt.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Summer quilt Questions on 02/05/2012 08:27:58 MST Print View

The only diff between the tip and taff are the rip squares. The shiny side is the wrong side for both. The shiny side us the calandered side but the DWR is on both sides.

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Summer quilt Questions on 02/05/2012 10:00:01 MST Print View

With the advent of the internet I learn something new almost every day.

Just out of curiosity how is cloth calendared or is it a coating etc ??

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Summer quilt Questions on 02/05/2012 11:42:33 MST Print View

calendaring - Heat and pressure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendering

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Summer quilt Questions on 02/05/2012 12:49:34 MST Print View

Sorry for spelling and grammar. I am using my phone and not going slow enough. Sorry.

-Tim

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Summer quilt Questions on 02/05/2012 13:05:32 MST Print View

"Sorry for spelling and grammar. I am using my phone and not going slow enough. Sorry."

what is "tip and taff"? : )

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Apex on 02/05/2012 23:56:58 MST Print View

Tim means the ripstop and the taffeta, I think. T-H sells the M90 in both ripstop and taffeta, or at least, has in the past. The taffeta having no ripstop pattern woven into the fabric.

From Connor's post, it sounds like the OWF 4 oz. Apex is a lot more compressible than I ever thought.

Edited by scfhome on 02/06/2012 00:00:44 MST.