Forum Index » GEAR » capris vs pants?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Amy Bithiah
(plantedbystreams) - F
capris vs pants? on 02/01/2012 09:50:40 MST Print View

How useful are capris for travel? They are shorter than regular pants, so the would weigh less, but pants cover your entire leg. Is it better just to go with pants?

Pants vs. capris....

What are your thoughts?

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: capris vs pants? on 02/01/2012 10:24:50 MST Print View

If it's not too cold I always wear what I prefer to call breeches. They are cooler, breathe better, and I find easier to walk in. If it gets cold or the mosquitoes come out, I slip a pair of very light wind pants over them to protect my lower legs and ankles.

Aaron Reichow
(areichow)

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Re: capris vs pants? on 02/01/2012 10:46:01 MST Print View

I guess I'd much rather wear pants. The weight difference would be minor. Even without the weight difference, I'd really prefer to have the bug protection. You can always roll up your cuffs. I prefer to doing this over convertible pants.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: capris vs pants? on 02/01/2012 11:50:06 MST Print View

Are capris more comfortable for you? If so, go for it.

I like shorts and wear pants when the weather dictates it. So for me capris would be an in between. Also pants are good for some protection in deserts. I am too mean for bugs to bother me :)

My wife likes to hike in capris. I also find it interesting that some guys are interested in kilts, but I rarely see women wearing them.

So wear what feels best for you.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: capris vs pants? on 02/01/2012 12:57:41 MST Print View

I am a long pants only hiker. If only trail hiking, shorts or capris would be fine if you will wear sunblock on your lower legs. If you are hiking offtrail then your lower legs might be all scratched up or worse.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: capris vs pants? on 02/01/2012 13:42:38 MST Print View

Capris=low gaiters in many areas to keep junk out of shoes. If you are traveling though and not hiking they are quite nice though!

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Re: capris vs pants? on 02/02/2012 15:00:29 MST Print View

Whichever you like better- capris aren't as cool but provide better sun protection.

Women have the option of zip-off capri/pants. REI has some nice models.

Men's zip-offs always seem to have "Magnum PI" style shorts with about 5" inseams. I'd prefer about 12".

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Re: capris vs pants? on 02/02/2012 15:23:15 MST Print View

Jim, look for the European clothing brands. Knickerbockers are quite popular in Europe and many companies offer zip-offs capri-style, or longer-leg short pants style. Some even have both shorts and capris (two sets of zippers on each leg). Also Marmot and Columbia both offer a good selection of zip-off capris and longer leg shorts.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Manpris on 02/02/2012 16:52:45 MST Print View

But can you guys wear something called "Manpris" with dignity? Lol!

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Re: Manpris on 02/02/2012 18:00:29 MST Print View

This style of pants is very old, going back thousands of years. I'm not a white American male and have no hang ups about such clothing. (I don't mind wearing bright colors, either. I often wear cadmium yellow and on occasion pink, and I think I do look good in them!) I just love using many of the colorful old names of such clothing and think that "knickerbockers", "breeches", "plus-fours", "britches", "breeks", and most especially "galligaskins" are wonderful names. "Capris" were originally specifically designed for women by the fashion designer Sonja de Lennart in 1948 and became known as "Capris" because it was popular to wear them on the island of Capri back then. These were definitely men's pants for most of history and there's nothing "unmanly" about them, whatever that means! In the recent movie by Spielberg, "Tin Tiin", Tin Tin wear Plus-Fours.

Galligaskins

Galligaskins

Edited by butuki on 02/02/2012 18:03:12 MST.

William Johnson
(Steamboat_Willie)
Capri's on 02/02/2012 19:56:44 MST Print View

I prefer to wear capri's. I have a pair of them from REI where they are sold under the suitably manly title of "mountain shorts." I like them because it keeps the sun off the tops of my legs, especially when I am sitting down. I seem to get too hot in pants.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Manpris on 02/02/2012 22:12:54 MST Print View

I have a pair of MH "3/4 pants" whatever

I want to like them, but...

Cooler than pants/ warmer than shorts (duh) So at night you're chilly, heat of the day you're hot.

Bug are like, "thanks for narrowing it down for me. I'll take, hmmm... side of the ankle."

For the hat trick- mine are stretch-woven -still need rain/wind pants. Can get hot in mid summer.

On the Positive side:

Uhhh.... The front pockets of mine are awesome! Best front pockets ever IMO. They are parallel with the waist line, and have wide openings. Its like two tool belt pockets.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Re: capris vs pants? on 02/03/2012 04:55:48 MST Print View

Amy, sorry for turning the focus of the thread away from your question. In answer, I mainly use capris for almost all my traveling, unless it's very cold. For town wear and relaxing and walking about, they're prefect.

Dustin Judd
(ddujnitsud) - F
Prana makes some great ones on 02/03/2012 06:10:56 MST Print View

For you guys out there that want to try it check out Prana's Nemisis Knickers. I got a pair a year or two ago for shoulder season golfing pants (hate long pants while golfing) and realized They had all the comfort of shorts and almost as much protection as pants. I carry a pair of gators for the rough and thick stuff and so far I couldn't be happier.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Manpris on 02/03/2012 09:20:20 MST Print View

Miguel,

Those pants look really cool and the baggy to help ventilate. But buddy, you really need to reconsider your hiking footwear :)

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Re: Manpris on 02/03/2012 10:12:34 MST Print View

Those pants look really cool and the baggy to help ventilate. But buddy, you really need to reconsider your hiking footwear :)

What, you don't like my red lightning bolts? (and my pasty white tummy?). I'm hurt, Nick. Deeply forked through! :-)

(just for the record... that isn't me!)

Edited by butuki on 02/03/2012 10:13:58 MST.

M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Shoes on 02/03/2012 10:16:44 MST Print View

Hey, the shoes are cool. Zero drop, integrated gaiters. They're probably comfortable. :)

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Re: Shoes on 02/03/2012 10:22:20 MST Print View

There, Nick, I'm vilified. Barefoot boots! And the torso is bare, so lots of good vitamin D!

Diana Nevins
(artemis) - MLife

Locale: Great Plains
No need to choose! on 02/03/2012 10:23:11 MST Print View

Why choose? REI occasionally sells a few long hiking pants that are convertible to capris. They allow you to have the best of both.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Manpris on 02/03/2012 10:24:09 MST Print View

I was going to include "that probably isn't a picture of you" in the original post.

But all of this shows us that all the great new designs in gear and clothing are often not really that new.