Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » November wind storm damage in the Sierra's :(

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
November wind storm damage in the Sierra's :( on 01/31/2012 19:40:13 MST Print View

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5344090

Very sad to hear. Gunna be more sad to see this coming summer. It going to be a busy summer for trail crews and rangers.

"Given the extent of damage and the number of trees that need to be removed, there is a high probability that the spring opening of the Reds Meadow Road and Reds and Agnew Valley Campgrounds, trails, and day use facilities will be delayed."

Edited by JasonG on 01/31/2012 19:43:24 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: November wind storm damage in the Sierra's :( on 01/31/2012 19:44:03 MST Print View

And we thought we were going to get off easy this winter. That is freaky windy!

R K
(oiboyroi) - M

Locale: South West US
Re: November wind storm damage in the Sierra's :( on 01/31/2012 20:04:31 MST Print View

The National Weather Service used several area weather stations to calculate that gusts on the top of Mammoth Mountain exceeded 180 mph and wind speeds did not drop below 120 mph for over three hours.

Whoa.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
RMNP on 01/31/2012 20:05:36 MST Print View

It has been pretty bad in RMNP this winter as well. Low snowpack and high wind advisories nearly everyday have made snowshoeing or backcountry skiing hit or miss.

But hey, this is what I get for living smack dab next to the foothills. :)

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: November wind storm damage in the Sierra's :( on 01/31/2012 20:10:11 MST Print View

>"exceeded 180 mph and wind speeds did not drop below 120 mph for over three hours."

Wow!

I've been in winds to 60 mpg (Mt Washington) and 90 mph (Dutch Harbor) gusting to 136 mph. 180 mph would literally send you flying (and the landing would not be pretty). And snap off every tree around.

"We're not in Kansas anymore. . . "

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
direction on 01/31/2012 20:13:50 MST Print View

if you read to the bottom it says winds get that high occasionally but the direction of the wind is what took out all the trees.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
wut trees? on 02/01/2012 07:24:10 MST Print View

All the trees blew off the top of Mammoth Mtn. I looked. Now, if the gusts up there affected the hut, the one with plate glass, I wonder how it held up to pressures and shears like that? 180 is just plain gnarly.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: November wind storm damage in the Sierra's :( on 02/01/2012 15:09:00 MST Print View

"I've been in winds to 60 mpg (Mt Washington) "

That is impressive fuel economy for wind.

--B.G.--

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Tarp on 02/01/2012 15:19:11 MST Print View

"The National Weather Service used several area weather stations to calculate that gusts on the top of Mammoth Mountain exceeded 180 mph and wind speeds did not drop below 120 mph for over three hours."

I wonder how my tarp would have done.... Hmmmm

Wait, I could have used it to fly off the mountain. Think how many miles a days you could make.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: November wind storm damage in the Sierra's :( on 02/01/2012 15:43:13 MST Print View

In mid December me and a friend counted somewhere around 300 individual fallen trees between the ranger station and sykes camp in Big Sur. If the Sierras are anything like that, it's going to be a lot of sawing to get all of that out of the way.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Tarp on 02/01/2012 15:46:39 MST Print View

Greg, the only way to survive something like that would be to go into burrito mode with your tarp... probably would have to do the same with a tent fly.

Diana Nevins
(artemis) - MLife

Locale: Great Plains
Re: Re: Re: November wind storm damage in the Sierra's :( on 02/01/2012 15:55:47 MST Print View

""We're not in Kansas anymore. . . ""

Since winds speeds of 120-180 mph are in the tornadic range, perhaps we ARE in Kansas after all? :)

Very odd winter the US is having this year. Very odd!

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"November wind storm damage in the Sierra's :(" on 02/01/2012 20:20:41 MST Print View

Nature is awesome.