New type of bivy think tank discussion
Display Avatars Sort By:
Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
New type of bivy think tank discussion on 01/31/2012 17:37:24 MST Print View

I have been thinking about making a bivy I like the beauty of the bivy throw it on the ground and get in and sleep,No setting up poles or guy lines . I already own outdoor research Aurora bivy , I like the clam shell opening. The only thing I don't like is it small in width at the head section is I sometimes bring in some gear in stuff sacks on each side of me to keep the top off my face.

I have been thinking a of new bivy design that would be kind of like a lean two design at the head that utilized your backpack with a frame sheet sitting on in it's side inside a pocket to keep it from tipping over on one side of the bivy to make a small low lean to to give you about 12 to 15 inches of head room on one side.
Have any of you done this? Do you think it would work?

Terry

Hobbes W
(Hobbesatronic) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: New type of bivy think tank discussion on 01/31/2012 18:55:01 MST Print View

I gave up on the idea of a bivy for two reasons:

1. I have a plain ole' vanilla 1.3 sil MYOG tarp that measures 7.5'x8.5'and weighs 10.5oz counting the Ti stakes & triptease guys. While the top of a bivy would require both less & lighter fabric (perhaps M90), bottoms are typically heavier with @ least 1.3.

However, with a tarp, I can get away with a 1.5oz piece of 84"x40" window shrink wrap, (because it isn't sewn on) for a grand total of 12oz. Since the tarp is slightly oversized, I don't need anything else to get through a downpour.

2. I originally started with 6 yds, so the tarp began as a 9'x11.5' after the center seam was sewn. But since I measured & configured the tarp for myself (while inside), I was careful to make sure it was both high enough (38" at the front, 18" at the rear), and wide enough so that I would be clear from rubbing/wiping any surface area(s) condensation.

With bivy sacks, it just seems like there are always condensation issues, and lots of debates/explanation as to the reasons, including whether it is operator or equipment failure, etc.

I figure, who needs it? While it would be nice to throw a bivy down and crawl inside, the extra 5-10 minutes of erecting the tarp help keeps me dry, and hence warm.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: New type of bivy think tank discussion on 01/31/2012 19:33:28 MST Print View

Terry. If you use a pad with any height, do you think you will actually have enough headroom to make the effort worthwhile?
Hiking is SoCal. I think I got rained on 3 times in 20 years. Who needs anything overhead?

Michael Duke
(mpd1690) - F
Re: New type of bivy think tank discussion on 01/31/2012 21:17:06 MST Print View

If I understand correctly, the frame sheet would need to have some type of tie-out. If it is just in a sleeve them the pack will tip with any wind. Your head would have to counter balance it. It is a good idea though. I'm sure there is a way for it to work.

Stephen Burgess
(williswall)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: New type of bivy think tank discussion on 02/01/2012 00:28:09 MST Print View

I have found a solution to keeping fabric off your face inside a bivy. I discuss it in the "multiuse" gear thread (10 oz shelter) but essentially I take a short length of .187 delrin rod and coat the ends with Plastidip, plus dab plastidip across the top with a small brush. This coating provides a "stickiness" where the rod is simply placed inside the bivy; the coating keeps the rod from sliding out of position, no staking required. You can easily cut delrin rod to length with wire cutters and Plastidip is available at most hardware stores. The rod is very flexible and can be rolled up to easily fit in a small backpack. The picture below shows my daughter in a setup with the rod set in place to provide the headroom:two piece setup

Edited by williswall on 02/01/2012 00:30:07 MST.

Nancy Twilley
(goodcaver2)

Locale: STL
delrin? on 02/01/2012 07:08:55 MST Print View

Where can you get a rod like that?

Stephen Burgess
(williswall)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
re: delrin rod on 02/01/2012 10:15:59 MST Print View

A web search will give you plenty of choices, but I bought mine here:

http://www.plasticsintl.com/acetal-delrin-rod.html

The bill was $14 for 3 rods.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
delrin rod on 02/01/2012 10:45:48 MST Print View

Stephen,
I really like the Delrin rod idea especially the part of coating the top so it does not slip with out a velcro tie in. I have a wholesale plastic house that will sell delrin to me.
Thank you very much,
Terry

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
steven on 02/01/2012 11:10:12 MST Print View

that looks really pro man. some of you guys are on here are really mind blowing with how innovative you are...

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: New type of bivy think tank discussion on 02/01/2012 11:55:42 MST Print View

No rain or snow, I just sleep under the stars.

I have used bivys a lot under a poncho/tarp, but I was able to cook and do other things while the weather was crappy.

I have done bivys only in poor weather. Cooking is problematic. And once you are done hiking for the day, you have little choice but to go to bed. So, I have found a bivy as a sole shelter to be dismal at best, and find it of no use in good weather. With a smallish tarp it is essential.