Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Damn you, BPL
Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Damn you, BPL on 01/30/2012 09:28:02 MST Print View

Because of you, BPL, I just ordered TWO quilts from Tim Marshall. One for me and one for the wife.

Did I *need* them? No.

Did I want to try new gear (our first quilts) from a cottage maker? Yes.

Did I *NEED* them? No!

But because of you, BPL, I couldn't resist. Why is it BPL's fault? Because only here are such things made irresistible by the enabling reminder that I get to use this fantastic gear out in the wilds. Now I know what Pavlov's K9 friends felt like. I log onto BPL and there goes that itch... or is it drool?

Now I get to play that waiting game for specialized gear. You all know what I'm talking about.

Edited by T.L. on 01/30/2012 09:32:50 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Damn you, BPL on 01/30/2012 09:56:27 MST Print View

Actually, one more question, "Does your wife know about this"???

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Damn you, BPL on 01/30/2012 10:02:15 MST Print View

No! Ahem, well sort of.

She knows I'm looking at them, and after explaining my interest in the quilts, she said to me, "you're a bad person."

That translates to "Dammit. Now I secretly want one too, but we really shouldn't spend the money on it."

So, I think this is going to be a Valentines Day/Birthday Present for her. I think I might secretly swap out her sleeping bag and let her discover the quilt by herself.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Damn you, BPL" on 01/30/2012 10:31:35 MST Print View

I hope your wife prefers a quilt over a sleeping bag.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: "Damn you, BPL" on 01/30/2012 10:38:54 MST Print View

Eugene,

For 3 season use, she's never zipped up her Montbell #3. Always quilt-style.

She was actually the one to bring up quilts a long time ago. At that time, there were no quilts in the price range of the Revelation X at the temperature rating we wanted, so we opted for sleeping bags that we got a good deal on.

Worst case scenario: I'll have to resell them on Gear Swap where the resale value will still be pretty good, especially with barely used cottage gear.

Edited by T.L. on 01/30/2012 10:43:08 MST.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Gifts on 01/30/2012 11:00:30 MST Print View

Cough cough....sure give it to her as a gift but you better include some chocolate or similar as well. Just saying :-P

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Gifts on 01/30/2012 11:05:06 MST Print View

Heh, yeah Sarah.

Although, she specifically asked me NOT to get her chocolates for V. Day. Too cliche.

And "Sweetest Day?" Pffff. We both hate that "holiday." It's an invented reason to buy more crap. We'd rather spend money on... new gear....oh, wait.... :)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Gifts on 01/30/2012 11:41:59 MST Print View

"Too cliche."

An old flame once bought me flowers and chocolate for V Day - but not in a standard sense. She bought me the movie "Chocolat" with Johnny Depp and the delightfully delectable Juliette Binoche, and the novel "The Orchid Thief." My all time favorite V Day gifts!

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gifts on 01/30/2012 11:43:03 MST Print View

Very nice, Doug!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Gifts on 01/30/2012 14:19:32 MST Print View

Pffffttttt.........

There is nothing wrong with chocolate. Ever. Well unless one is allergic to it. There is nothing wrong with giving it - best Valentines Day I had was my husband putting a bag of See's truffles in my backpack before I left for the weekend (he had to work that time). I got to camp and had all this awesome candy to pork out on.

I'd say roses for $50 to 100 a dozen is cliche but never chocolate. You can eat it. But not dead flowers :-P

But hey, I also like jewelry as well ;-) I have no qualms with being a cliche!

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Damn you, BPL on 01/30/2012 14:22:51 MST Print View

Having a wife who know what kind of quilt you are talking about is pretty awesome.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Damn you, BPL on 01/30/2012 16:31:39 MST Print View

Joe,

Yeah, she's awesome like that. She doesn't know a whole lot of the cottage guys except Tarptent, KookaBay, and MLD, but she understands a decent amount about gear, materials, and techniques. So basically we can discuss gear without the conversation being too one-sided. She works more than I do so she can't spend the time I do learning the fine points of it all, but she knows what she wants!

Often she'll express what she would want out of a particular item and I'll do the research. I'll come back and lay out the options and we make an informed decision. It works nicely because if she has an idea or question that I don't know much about, it gives me an excuse to pour over BPL and gear sites!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Damn you, BPL on 01/30/2012 19:53:28 MST Print View

Welcome to the club Travis ;~)

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Gifts on 01/30/2012 20:12:09 MST Print View

>"An old flame once . . . bought me the movie "Chocolat" with Johnny Depp and the delightfully delectable Juliette Binoche, and the novel "The Orchid Thief." My all time favorite V Day gifts!"

Doug: I've seen that movie on a date. Maybe we should again in 15 days. My recommendation for a date movie is "Tampopo". Japanese.

From a review: "A truck driver stops at a small family run noodle shop and decides to help their fledgling business. The story is intertwined with various vignette scenes on the theme of "the love of food." "

But the scene with the lobster is sort of over the top, so maybe it's more of a second date movie than a first date movie.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
Damn you, BPL on 01/30/2012 20:24:30 MST Print View

Tampopo is well worth watching. Starring the incomparable Nobuko Miyamoto and directed by Juzo Itami.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4BQnw5WzY8

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Re: Damn you, BPL on 01/30/2012 23:51:04 MST Print View

Travis,
Great choice!
Tim's work is the best. You won't regret it.

M

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
What temp rating on 01/31/2012 09:29:13 MST Print View

Hi Travis,
What temp rating did you get? I had been eyeing those as a way to drop weight for winter. (hint: should they not work out for you...)

Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

Locale: Pacific NW
Tampopo on 01/31/2012 10:13:54 MST Print View

Great flick. Great suggestion. Guaranteed to evoke an emotional response, from laughter to discomfort to sadness.

The scene with the mother who gets up and cooks for her kids always tears my heart out.

K

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: What temp rating on 01/31/2012 10:57:12 MST Print View

Ike,
We got two 20*F quilts, one a 6' and the other a 5'6". They both have 30% overfill. They'll mostly be for 3 season, but with my insulating layer I can probably bring it down to 5-10*F, which will be plenty for my 4-season use since I don't go out in the super frigid temps.

But, if they end up not working out, I'll keep you in mind. ;)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Damn you, BPL on 01/31/2012 10:58:47 MST Print View

Typical, blame someone else for your addiction :)

[please note the smiley]