Forum Index » Chaff » Best non-profits introducing urban youth to wilderness in SF Bay Area, NY, Boston, Seattle and U.S.?

Display Avatars Sort By:
E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Best non-profits introducing urban youth to wilderness in SF Bay Area, NY, Boston, Seattle and U.S.? on 01/29/2012 20:06:24 MST Print View

Wasn't sure where to place this thread...moderators feel free to move it if there's a more appropriate forum.

Looking for the best non-profits focused on introducing disadvantaged and at-risk urban youth to the outdoors. Particularly interested in groups focused on the SF Bay Area, New York, Boston, Seattle and groups working nationally.

Several that my wife and I know of:

1) Bay Area Wilderness Training at http://www.bawt.org/ (located in the Bay Area)

Bay Area Wilderness Training (BAWT), a project of non-profit Earth Island Institute (which was founded by environmentalist and climber David Brower), was founded with the idea that California’s bountiful wilderness areas are a vast – yet untapped – resource for local youth-serving organizations. BAWT promotes the wise use of these national, state and regional parks through our professional wilderness leadership training. Then, we connect the teachers and youth workers to our outdoor gear libraries. That way, youth organizations and schools may outfit their groups for trips of their own – free of charge!

2) Big City Mountaineers http://www.bigcitymountaineers.org/about (not sure if they operate outside of CO)

3) Peak 7 focused on Washington and Oregon http://www.peak7.org/

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Best non-profits introducing urban youth to wilderness in SF Bay Area, NY, Boston, Seattle and U.S.? on 01/29/2012 20:14:14 MST Print View

In some areas, there is a Sierra Club Inner City Outing Program.

--B.G.--

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F

Locale: NW Montana
Urban Trekkers on 01/29/2012 22:14:00 MST Print View

It's not national, and a little outside of your area, but the Urban Trekkers program, run through UrbanPromise in Camden, New Jersey is excellent. You don't get much more disadvantaged than Camden. I've visited their site, toured their facilities, and met the people in charge. Excellent group--no qualms about anything that they do (except that things are a little on the heavy side, but for what they do while depending on donations).

FYI, Camden is across the Delaware River from downtown Philadelphia.

Edited by GlacierRambler on 01/29/2012 22:15:19 MST.

James Winstead
(James_W)

Locale: CA
Re: Best non-profits introducing urban youth to wilderness in SF Bay Area, NY, Boston, Seattle and U.S.? on 01/31/2012 13:26:44 MST Print View

I don't have any specific names but call around to gear shops, rei, churches etc. I'm sure there are 10:1 small one off groups to large organizations. I wanted to donate some obsolete gear while living in Chicago and REI gave me a number for a neighborhood group that ran something like this.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: Best non-profits introducing urban youth to wilderness in SF Bay Area, NY, Boston, Seattle and U.S.? on 01/31/2012 14:56:00 MST Print View

Bob,

Here's a link to the Seattle Sierra Club Inner City Outings:

here

I donated some tents to them a few months ago but I know nothing about them other than it being recommended by a BPL member.

Daryl

Edited by lyrad1 on 01/31/2012 14:57:30 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Best non-profits introducing urban youth to wilderness in SF Bay Area, NY, Boston, Seattle and U.S.? on 01/31/2012 15:06:58 MST Print View

"Bob,

Here's a link to the Seattle Sierra Club Inner City Outings:"

I have no affiliation or interest in Inner City Outings, but the original poster might.

--B.G.--

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Best non-profits introducing urban youth to wilderness in SF Bay Area, NY, Boston, Seattle and U.S.? on 01/31/2012 19:21:17 MST Print View

EJ,

Here's a link to a group. It may be what Bob was referring to in his posting. I don't have any info on them. A BPL member recommended them in a previous post.

here

Daryl

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Best non-profits introducing urban youth to wilderness in SF Bay Area, NY, Boston, Seattle and U.S.? on 01/31/2012 23:29:39 MST Print View

SF Bay Chapter of the Sierra Club ICO (Inner City Outings):

http://ico.sierraclub.org/sfbaychapter/

I have some friends who are involved in this (and a very dear, late friend was one of the original founders).