Forum Index » GEAR » If you could only have one pack Part 2

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: McHale, The Last Pack You'll Ever Buy on 01/30/2012 17:27:50 MST Print View

I'm not a huge fan of McHale styling and they are way overbuilt for my needs. With that said, that green panel loader on his site is drop dead sexy.

Ryan

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: water vs. resupply. on 01/30/2012 17:34:19 MST Print View

"Week of food, no worries. Week of water, yikes."

Yup, that would take all the fun out of it for me alright. Even at 3 liters/day you'd be up over 40# just for your water. Do you still do that kind of trip, Nick?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: water vs. resupply. on 01/30/2012 18:25:47 MST Print View

Tom,

If the highs are in the 60's or maybe low 70's I can easily get by with 1/2 gallon per day, but I am not cooking (there is a little bit of balancing -- non-cooked food can be heavier). Also remember I have been living and hiking in the lower desert for well over 30 years, and have acclimated somewhat. Wisner and I did a hike last year and at the end of the first day I had only consumed a little over a liter.

If I find a spring (usually unreliable till you find water), then I can adjust and sometimes adjust my route to make a loop(s) back or even cache some water after filling up at the spring and dump some of it.

Last December I did a trip and went 2 days between each water re-supply, with a 64oz Gatorade bottle in each of my side pockets, the gallon carried extremely well in the LBP, and I had a Mountain House dinner each night, oatmeal & coffee for each breakfast. Desert hiking in the spring, fall and winter I can stretch 3 gallons over 6 days, and each day the pack gets about 5 or 6 lbs lighter with food and water consumption. So for a 6 day trip we are looking about 31 - 33 lbs of food and water (picked 6 days because it was easier to calculate in my feeble mind). Add all the gear and it is pretty easy to get in under 40lbs total. By day 3 the total pack weight is around 25 lbs or less. The alternative is not taking the trip I want, or hiring a Sherpa, or buying a burro. I don't think any Sherpas live in the lower desert, and I know diddly about pack animals -- other than wild horses and burros often foul water sources and leave road apples (non-edible) all over the place :)

Oh, and did I mention I will probably not have to share the experience with anyone else except for a few coyotes, rattlesnakes, and hopefully a big horn or two? And even rarer, I get to see one of these once in a while.

Desert Tortise

or acres of these too thick to walk through

IMG_0270

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: water vs. resupply. on 01/30/2012 19:20:52 MST Print View

"If the highs are in the 60's or maybe low 70's I can easily get by with 1/2 gallon per day, but I am not cooking (there is a little bit of balancing -- non-cooked food can be heavier). Also remember I have been living and hiking in the lower desert for well over 30 years, and have acclimated somewhat. Wisner and I did a hike last year and at the end of the first day I had only consumed a little over a liter."

That is the context I was looking for. A combo of seasonal timing and long term adaptation makes a lot of difference. I figured there had to be more to it, because a gallon/day, or even 3 liters takes the whole exercise into a whole different realm, as you mentioned: burros or Sherpas.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Re: Re: McHale, The Last Pack You'll Ever Buy on 01/31/2012 23:22:46 MST Print View

McHale, McShmale. I have a jet pack.

http://youtu.be/62UjvbkZOuI

Edited by reacttocontact on 01/31/2012 23:23:30 MST.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Re: Re: Re: McHale, The Last Pack You'll Ever Buy on 02/01/2012 01:19:26 MST Print View

You have fun with that. I'm going to pack my camping, cooking, and photography gear in my SuperSARC pack.

sandy boyd
(sandylwes) - F

Locale: eastern washington
zimmerbuilt on 02/01/2012 06:07:50 MST Print View

Im a little late...but Diego, the Zimmerbuilt Eugenious pack has a removable hip belt, maybe it would work for you after all!!
sandy

Randy Cain
(bagboy) - MLife

Locale: Palmdale, CA
I love my McHale!! on 04/09/2012 11:15:01 MDT Print View

I absolutely LOVE my McHale LBP (Little Big Pack)!!! At just a hair over 4 lbs, t's not what some would call "lightweight," but here's the deal: I have an old injury in my thoracic spine (upper back between shoulder blades). If I put even 6-8 pounds in one of the lightweight packs and carry it on my shoulders for a few miles, my back pain will flare up so bad that I am no longer enjoying the trip and am wishing I could just "beam" myself home. It's imperative that I carry most of the load on my hips, which the McHale allows me to easily do and practically forget that the pack is even there. I've gone through quite the evolution (still in progress) in lightening up my gear, mostly due to the influence of BPL, but I can only go so far when it comes to lightening up the pack itself. Ultimately, the suspension MUST adequately transmit the weight to the hip belt for me to be comfortable. OR else I have pain that far outweighs the enjoyment of the backcountry. Not everyone has a jacked-up spine like I do, but for me, the McHale pack rocks because it keeps me from hurting!! I've dealt with Dan in the creation of 2 packs, and both times he was fantastic. I even used the demo LBP on two backpacking trips this last fall to truly take it for a test drive before he started making one for me.

McHale LBP

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Aarn Mountain Magic 55 on 04/09/2012 13:16:02 MDT Print View

Hi,

I have used my Aarn Mountain Magic 55 for all my trips since last September, my only other pack is a ULA Catalyst which I am holding to incase I plan any trips longer than 4 days.

Cheers,

Stephen

Doug Smith
(Jedi5150) - F - M

Locale: Central CA
McHale on 04/22/2012 20:07:30 MDT Print View

My first McHale pack just got completed and I'm awaiting it in the mail. I'm exceptionally pleased with the quality of Dan's packs. The demo I used on my last trip was outstanding. My new pack is an LBP40, in white dyneema/ spectra, with 1000d forest green cordura pouches. It is the top 4 photos most recently added to Dan's website:

http://www.mchalepacks.com/letter/index.htm

This photo is courtesy of Dan McHale:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Edited by Jedi5150 on 04/22/2012 20:09:22 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Mchale on 07/03/2013 17:02:15 MDT Print View

Nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 07/03/2013 17:02:51 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Mchale on 07/03/2013 17:03:23 MDT Print View

Have you had issues Dave?

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
If you could only have one pack Part 2 on 07/03/2013 17:39:21 MDT Print View

Have you had issues Dave?

Intriguing:).

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: If you could only have one pack Part 2 on 07/03/2013 17:41:40 MDT Print View

Yes but nothing that a bit of Psychotherapy can't help.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: If you could only have one pack Part 2 on 07/03/2013 20:43:14 MDT Print View

I hear you on that Davey :-)

scree ride
(scree) - M
pot roast? on 07/03/2013 21:56:38 MDT Print View

I bet Mike St.Pierre isn't fixing pot roast.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: pot roast? on 07/03/2013 21:57:41 MDT Print View

ROTFLMAO!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: pot roast? on 07/04/2013 01:02:12 MDT Print View

Obviously I am living in an alternative universe. What on earth are we talking about?

scree ride
(scree) - M
low desert on 07/04/2013 06:31:47 MDT Print View

I'm acclimated to the low desert as well. . When it is 60 or 70 out, I'm dancing. It was 122* the other day. The big horns are desecrating the the springs. I carry water.

Edited by scree on 07/04/2013 06:43:02 MDT.

Philip Marshall
(philthy) - MLife
. on 07/04/2013 06:46:55 MDT Print View

I wish people wouldnt keep editing out their posts, curiosity is killing me