Forum Index » Chaff » Convince my wife I'm buying online novelties...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Convince my wife I'm buying online novelties... on 01/27/2012 16:11:14 MST Print View

Just wondering-
Any way to mask gear purchases as online adult entertainment or 1-900 calls? Get gear vendors to wrap up my new stove in an "adult novelty" box when shipping?

Just in the mail today- a new stove.

She: Didn't you just get a new stove?
He: That was 2008.
She: What's wrong with it?
He: This one is better- it works better in extreme cold.
She: How many trips do you take in extreme cold?
He: One last year.
She: I thought you used your friend's stove.
He: (um...)

(And she doesn't even know about the stove on the way from Korea)

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Convince my wife I'm buying online novelties... on 01/27/2012 16:21:13 MST Print View

Does it work to point out that you're not buying online novelties? It wouldn't work for my wife, but maybe you're one of the lucky ones...?

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Convince my wife I'm buying online novelties... on 01/27/2012 16:24:10 MST Print View

Had a friend post a photo on Facebook about her husband who likes to dress up in period warrior costumes:Roman Short Sword

Her post: Look what the UPS guy dropped off. I'm going f'ing kill him when he gets home!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Convince my wife I'm buying online novelties... on 01/27/2012 17:27:35 MST Print View

We have an agreement of sorts...neither of us pries into what dumb items the other buys ;-) Keeps the peace!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Convince my wife I'm buying online novelties... on 01/27/2012 17:38:40 MST Print View

That's the nice thing about living in a household of one: EVERYTHING I say is final. :)

OTOH, my brother and his wife seem to have a good system: 3 bank accounts: his, hers and theirs. Each year, they would agree on how much to fund the common till (for savings, investments, etc.). Above and beyond that, each is free to save additionally in their respective accounts -- or spend away without a care.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Convince my wife I'm buying online novelties... on 01/28/2012 10:23:17 MST Print View

You bought it because each family member should have individual emergency preparedness kit/ bug out gear bag. Ultra light weight stove/canister they need for boiling water/cooking when the water supply is polluted.

Or just do like my Dad use to do buy it don't care and live with it. The argument will last for a day or two and then it will be forgotten on to another thing.

But theirs could be repercussion from the way my Dad did it. Your wife may say what the hell if he can do it.I can also she will start buying tons of stuff you think are useless.
Terry

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Convince my wife I'm buying online novelties... on 01/28/2012 10:58:44 MST Print View

Remind wife that it is federal offense to open your mail. When it comes, say it's a surprise. Run to store, buy wife gift. Give her gift and when she asks about said new stove say "oh this old thing?". =)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Convince my wife I'm buying online novelties on 01/28/2012 11:18:44 MST Print View

I just get the kit sent to work and pay via paypal :-)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Convince my wife I'm buying online novelties on 01/28/2012 11:50:25 MST Print View

Have her spend equal amount or you spend equal amount on her. Or do what Stephen suggested. I do a combo of Terry's dad and Stephen. 20 years of wedded bliss.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: Convince my wife I'm buying online novelties on 01/28/2012 11:59:21 MST Print View

When we first married 40 years ago, my wife and I came up with what - for us - was the perfect solution to such things.

We agreed that each of us could spend up to $100 at a time without having to seek the other's approval, either before or after the purchase. The only caveat was that the $100 limit had to completely cover the cost of the item(s) plus delivery; none of this "buying it in pieces" stuff. It could take a long time to get a new car or bass boat that way.

Over the years, and as circumstances allowed, this amount was raised periodically. All of Nunatak is now well within my reach.

My wife did recently request that I reign in my SteepandCheap purchases on her behalf, as between her and our daughter, they now have almost as much Icebreaker merino wool clothing as does the local Icebreaker outlet store.

I see nothing wrong with this, as my gear closet looks like a REI satellite store. I ask you, fellow backpackers - am I missing something here?

Edited by wandering_bob on 01/28/2012 12:04:10 MST.