November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lightweight Webbing Reducer
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Lightweight Webbing Reducer on 01/27/2012 11:30:42 MST Print View

Here's a lightweight webbing reducer that shows promise. Haven't done much testing with it, however.

The photo shows a small white piece of plastic sheeting making the transition from 2" wide webbing to 3/4" wide webbing. The plastic piece is cut (with scissors) from a roll of plastic roof flashing from Home Depot. The plastic cuts and sews easily.

Why do this?

(1)It will allow me to use, in this case, a 3/4" buckle and 3/4" webbing on a waist belt that would otherwise require 2" wide buckle and web. This saves a net of 3/4+ ounces of weight (after adding back in 1/20th of an ounce for the white plastic triangle).

(2) The myog plastic triangle is lighter than available reducing buckles that I have seen.

(3) One can make any size reducer at home. A 4" wide light waist belt, for example, would fit the waist more evenly if a reducer was sewn in between the (typical) 2" wide buckle and 4" wide belt. Most waist belts I have seen aren't very tight on the top and bottom if the waist belt is wider than the buckle.