Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar?

Display Avatars Sort By:
christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar? on 01/27/2012 02:42:27 MST Print View

I eat the Quaker oatmeal to go bars. Taste good, but kinda bulky and are 120 calories / oz.
Seems like there must be a better option out there

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar? on 01/27/2012 08:09:12 MST Print View

Snickers

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar? on 01/27/2012 08:13:37 MST Print View

Blueberry Pop Tarts, secured in the bottom of my cook pot.

Counts as a fruit serving, optimistically.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar? on 01/27/2012 08:23:37 MST Print View

Usually whatever sounded good and I made before the trip!

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Breakfast on 01/27/2012 08:39:29 MST Print View

Trout sautéed in olive oil, if available. Otherwise oatmeal loaded with dried fruit.

Leslie Thurston
(lesler) - F

Locale: right here, right now
"Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar?" on 01/27/2012 09:02:26 MST Print View

IF i had to choose a bar of sorts...
i dig on the oskri coconut bars, any flavor, though the choc. covered is B-O-S-S.
http://www.oskri.com/en/products/109/oskri-bars/coconut-bars/
they make smaller versions too...90 cal.
perfect scooby snacks.
but for breakfast, i prefer the full-on, caloric-ladened, full-fat version that teems with nutrition and bursts with flavor.
keeps me primed for a good few hours even.
lt

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Probar on 01/27/2012 09:30:16 MST Print View

Probar is my favorite store-bought bar for breakfast. I was a week into hiking the JMT and already tired of Clif Bars. Met BPL member Andrew and he gave me half a dozen ProBars (and a pair of hiking poles!) Made breakfasts much better. Not quite as sweet and much bigger than most of the others. Expensive at $3.50, but under $0.01/calorie.

I like Art's Original and Whole Berry Blast, though I haven't tried all the flavors.

Art's Original is:
370 calories
85 grams total including:
48 grams carbs, including:
6 grams fiber
18 grams sugars
18 grams fats
10 grams protein

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Logan on 01/27/2012 09:46:03 MST Print View

Logan bars (thanks to Bob Gross for the recipe)

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar? on 01/27/2012 09:56:12 MST Print View

Anything by Bear Valley. Although Larabars work if I don't have time for the mail.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar? on 01/27/2012 10:41:10 MST Print View

The only bars I actually like are cherry pie larabars, so if it must be a bar, that's the one. I usually eat bars for snacks and not breakfast, though.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Stoats on 01/27/2012 11:23:07 MST Print View

Check out 'Stoats' bars. Made in Scotland, but there are US stockists on their website. Details here

Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

Locale: Pacific NW
Whatever I cooked last. :) on 01/27/2012 11:45:05 MST Print View

I am usually eating whichever recipe I am trying that trip. For an awesome list of recipes, including Bob Gross's logan bread (tasty), check out the following thread.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=40938

Ben Wortman
(bwortman)

Locale: Nebraska
Balance Bars on 01/27/2012 14:10:03 MST Print View

I really like balance bars

Chad Ware
(Ware4)

Locale: Northwest Georgia
Re: Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar? on 02/12/2012 05:50:32 MST Print View

3C Instant Oats
3/8C Honey
3/8C Maltose
1C Peanut Butter
Dried fruits
M&M's

Warm the honey, maltose and Peanut butter over low heat. Mix the liquids into the oats and fruit, warming for a few seconds in the microwave if it becomes too stiff. Add the M&M's last. Spread on wax paper and roll about 1/2" thick. Cut into bars.

This is my adaptation of a powerbar recipe I found online. Substituted the maltose for half the honey, which yields a much less 'gooey' bar. Added the dried fruit (usually bananas and strawberries, but can be anything I have on hand) and the M&M's for flavor and calories.

They are outstanding!

John Almond
(FLRider) - F

Locale: The Southeast
depends on the temperature... on 02/13/2012 08:05:34 MST Print View

Personally, I plan my meals around the expected temperatures of the day.

Here in FL, it's not unusual to have temperatures of 40-ish in the mornings in the "winter" and in the 80s with 100% humidity in the summer mornings. So, my breakfast varies.

During the summer months, I tend to carry peanut butter espresso fudge; this is the bog-standard Fluff recipe with an half-pot of Cafe Bustelo added to the mix. It doesn't melt at normal FL summer temperatures, has enough sugar and fat to boost one's calories in the morning, contains the caffeine that I'm addicted to, and--most importantly when it's that warm out-- doesn't require me to wait an half-hour for it to cool down before I can eat it.

During the cooler months (when it's below 70 in the mornings), I tend not to eat breakfast bars; instead I use a melange of instant coffee, Carnation Instant Breakfast, and Nido (whole milk powder). If I were to eat a breakfast bar, though, it would probably be Pop Tarts of one flavor or another.

Joshua Welbaum
(jshwelbaum) - M

Locale: Northwest
Re: "Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar?" on 02/13/2012 11:33:46 MST Print View

Amen. love them
http://www.oskri.com/en/details/109/oskri-bars/coconut-bars/1261/coconut-milk-chocolate-bar/box

Edited by jshwelbaum on 02/13/2012 11:34:48 MST.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar? on 02/13/2012 14:18:23 MST Print View

A large bowl of home-made raw muesli. (Pretty solid stuff.)

I have eaten breakfast bars when there was nothing else, but ...

Cheers

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar? on 02/13/2012 15:56:52 MST Print View

Caz Bar!!

http://katesrealfood.com/

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar? on 02/13/2012 16:35:25 MST Print View

Roger- we need the recipe of the raw Muesli.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Re: Re: Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar? on 02/13/2012 17:51:56 MST Print View

I foolishly ordered 8lbs of pemmican bars from US Wellness Meats without ever having tasted them. So those will be my favorite bars, like 'em or not.