Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Mountain Laurel Designs TrailStar Shelter Review
Display Avatars Sort By:
Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Question for Ron: on 08/29/2013 18:51:53 MDT Print View

From the MLD website -

"It is 30% larger than the TrailStar and offers the same sleep space as a 9 X 9 Pyramid Shelter."

Ron Bell
(mountainlaureldesigns) - F - M

Locale: USA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Mountain Laurel Designs TrailStar Shelter Review on 08/29/2013 19:54:17 MDT Print View

A little under 9 X 9 - Each of the 5 lower edges are about 9'.

rowan !
(romonster)

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Question for Ron: on 08/29/2013 23:41:38 MDT Print View

Ron,
Now that the LittleStar is available, would you be able to compare it to the Cricket Tarp? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each? I really like both, and want to buy one of them . . . I just can't decide which one!

If it matters, I'd be using it as a solo shelter, and I'm only 5' 2".

Tim Czarkowski
(buylow12) - MLife

Locale: South East
Still pending? on 01/28/2014 17:29:56 MST Print View

I'd like to see the review finished. Still rolling?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Still pending? on 01/29/2014 00:19:35 MST Print View

It's too bad it hasn't been updated. The comments in the thread were overall very positive. Doug Ide posted some very good links that should be read. Unfortunately, there are many blogs that rival some of the BPL reviews these days.

About a year ago I posted the same question, and Eugene replied what else did I need to know... there was ample information on the Web; and he was right.

If you want the best wind-shedding shelter for the weight, buy one. But ignore the posted weight, by the time you seam seal it, add guy lines and substantial stakes it is going to weigh a lot more.

I only take mine when I expect nasty weather, and it meets all my expectations.

Doug Hus
(Doug.H) - M

Locale: Ontario. Canada
blogs on 01/29/2014 04:33:21 MST Print View

May I ask which blogs you are using for light weight backpacking.

Dave -
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Up there
Re: Mountain Laurel Designs TrailStar Shelter Review on 10/22/2014 20:21:15 MDT Print View

Ryan, any chance you could update this review? Recommended? Highly recommended?

Doug Hus
(Doug.H) - M

pending on 04/05/2015 06:14:34 MDT Print View

pending, 3 plus years.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: blogs on 04/05/2015 16:21:21 MDT Print View

"May I ask which blogs you are using for light weight backpacking."

There is a list on my website: www.popupbackpacker.com

The majority are UK blogs.

Ken T.
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: All up in there
Re: explosions. on 04/05/2015 17:09:08 MDT Print View

They'll be no update here either Nick. Get that bathroom remodel done yet? How about an update on that motorcycle restoration? You are on the same work schedule as BPL. Shoulder some responsibility and stay home and get something done instead of galavanting around.

Happy Easter!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: explosions. on 04/05/2015 18:10:20 MDT Print View

And Happy Easter to you and your family.

Since there won't be any updates on the Trailstar, I might as well update everyone on other stuff.

My wife made me come home for Easter dinner. And I actually made progress on the bathroom -- I looked at some pictures of bathrooms on Houzz today while she prepared dinner. Unfortunately I was overwhelmed by the seemingly endless options. Might have to take a few backpacking trips to sort out a solution.

The motorcycle is on hold. The boss says I can't touch it until the house is done. Drats. On my way out of town a couple days ago I stopped by a Yamaha dealer and looked at the big Venture touring bike. Maybe I should just buy a new one for now? Too bad that bike is carbureted. Need to do more research.

The boss is going to make me retire next year so she can supervise me, so the end is near :)

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: explosions. on 04/05/2015 18:34:02 MDT Print View

Will she let us get into the desert together while you're on supervision? I think a trip is in order soon.

Weather down here seems to be shifting and shrinking our desert hiking window Nick.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: explosions. on 04/05/2015 20:33:05 MDT Print View

Pick a date and I'll get a kitchen pass. She likes you apparently.

Doug Hus
(Doug.H) - M

3 year + trailstar users update on 04/06/2015 05:08:46 MDT Print View

Are there any people that have be using the Trailstar for a few years that could give updates?

p.s., my (updated) laundry room renovations are complete.

Doug