Forum Index » Chaff » This Should Be Interesting

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
This Should Be Interesting on 01/23/2012 21:34:33 MST Print View

Anonymous: Facebook is next, on January 28. Read more about it here.

I have a Facebook account but rarely venture there. How about you guys?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: This Should Be Interesting on 01/23/2012 21:39:02 MST Print View

Ben,

I don't know what Facebook is, nor do I have any idea what the site you linked to is even talking about. Can you explain?

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: This Should Be Interesting on 01/23/2012 21:48:02 MST Print View

More power to 'em. I have a Facebook page, but I couldn't really care less if Anonymous took it down.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Re: This Should Be Interesting on 01/23/2012 21:51:32 MST Print View

+1 with Travis
It's of little real use.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: This Should Be Interesting on 01/23/2012 21:53:56 MST Print View

Nick: Annonymous is a ad-hoc group of hackers who colaborate on bringing down websites of firms they disagree with. Banks that charge excessive fees, companies that promote non-neutrality on the web, firms that co-operate with governments against Wikileaks - those sorts of things. Gen Y or are up to Z now? technical capable people who use co-opted computers to do denial-of-service attacks, typically.

Facebook is always upsetting someone with their ever-changing privacy policies, violations of their own privacy policy and by generally acting like the big kid on the block.

OP: I'm on Facebook a few times a day. I find it a convenient way to keep track of family and friends. Kind of you lot, some people are funny, insightful, and/or informational, while some or tedious, preachy and/or chronically misantrophic. A nice thing about Facebook is you can just click on "unsubscribe" button and you don't see their posts anymore.

But if Facebook goes down for a week, that's fine. Nothing important happens there. Some good stuff - public service announcement sort of things, but I can find that info elsewhere.

John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
Facebook on 01/23/2012 22:07:18 MST Print View

I have an account but spend little time there. Those few people I care about get phone calls, visits and e-mail.

This group has made other threats that didn't come to fruition so we will have to wait and see.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: This Should Be Interesting on 01/23/2012 22:35:14 MST Print View

Hi David:

Yeah, Facebook has its place. I had great success digging up long-lost classmates. However, once reconnected, I still prefer "talking" to specific people -- versus posting onto a "wall".

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: This Should Be Interesting on 01/23/2012 22:48:11 MST Print View

It would upset me, not because I like Facebook itself, but because, living in Japan, far from most of my close friends and family, that is how I stay in touch with them. Calling them or meeting them is out of the question. I'm looking for an alternative to FB, because I hate their policies and carelessness with people's information, but right there is nothing.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: This Should Be Interesting on 01/23/2012 22:52:06 MST Print View

Hi Miguel:

Maybe Google+?? There's upfront work, of course, such as convincing friends and families to sign up as well. But if y'all use social websites a lot, then it makes sense to have a backup, right?

When traveling, I like being able to make free VOIP calls to family and friends. I use Skype primarily, but also have Google Voice on my tablet as a backup.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: This Should Be Interesting & More Questions on 01/24/2012 01:18:12 MST Print View

David,

Thanks for explaining "Annonymous." Okay it sounds to me like they are breaking the law, if so, they are at a minimum criminals or maybe terrorist would be a more applicable term? And if people think that the privacy policy of Facebook or whatever is wrong... then umm... it seems simple; quit using it.

Now for more questions. Facebook: okay I really don't know what this does. I did sign up for Tweeter a few years ago, to follow a cross country race my son was in as someone was posting the race, and that was the last time I used that thing.

So my big question is; why don't people just email their friends? One program and account that does all your electronic communication?

Here is my take on all of this. My leisure time is valuable. I have to monitor my business email, so those I want to stay in contact with have it. I have a free email service that I never use, unless someone or some company wants my email and I don't care to communicate with them; I then give them that email address. I need a phone for business, so I have a cell phone and a business-only land line. My cell phone is probably 95% business. I can count my real friends on one hand, and don't need to talk to them more than once a month... even less is better. I really don't care about what some kid I went to school with 50 years ago is doing... we probably have little in common, and if I liked them in the first place, I would have probably stayed in touch. I live with my best friend, who happens to be my wife, so I set aside most of my free time for her. I don't text. Text messages are just another thing to monitor and clutter up your life. The exception on texting is when I am traveling in different time zones or late at night, I text my wife to let her know I arrived safely, instead of calling and waking her up -- on a high traffic text month I might send 5 of them, usually I forget how to use the freakin application anyway. When people text me, I call them and tell them not to do it again; if the text is important they can call or email; and if their message isn't important enough to warrant a call or an email, then it isn't important at all and we are both wasting our time with it. I spend enough of my free time on BPL (maybe too much). I visit only one other forum on the Web, a tent trailer site, and only visit it once or twice a week, and rarely post there anymore since I started visiting BPL. One forum is enough to keep up with.

Seems that if people cut down on all this social networking stuff they would have more time to get out and hike, bike, run, ski, etc., or even god forbid... talk to their wife and kids for a few hours everyday. We have so many posts on BPL about living the simple life, it seems that all this social networking is a complicated, time consuming mess. To me one email account and a cell phone is the UL kit. Facebook, Tweeter, LinkedIn, MySpace, Your Space, My This, Your That, etc., seems like a 65 pound external frame pack to me.

Now some (or most) will say I am just an old, technology illiterate fool. Maybe I am. But I have been using PIMs to manage my time for a long time (since the 80's), starting with Sharps, Casios, Palm Pilots, Smart Phones, and even an Apple Newton -- most of you will have to look that one up, because you never heard of it:) My laptop syncs with my phone so I have instant access to my calendar, contact list, and to do list. I have been using a cell phone as a modem for nearly 10 years so I can maximize my time when traveling on business. All of this is done to make me more efficient, so I will have more free time to pursue my hobbies and family time. I build software applications for a living... so I understand the technical part of technology. But I see technology as a means to simplify life and create more free time in my life -- not a black hole to suck up all my hard earned free time. The less time I spend with electricity circling around my brain, the better :)

Now if I lived in Alaska in winter, yeah I can see doing more of this social networking stuff :)

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: Re: This Should Be Interesting & More Questions on 01/24/2012 02:16:16 MST Print View

Nick re: "But I see technology as a means to simplify life and create more free time in my life -- not a black hole to suck up all my hard earned free time."

And not a black hole to suck up hard earned money, either. Or contributing to ever-growing piles of obsolete stuff.

Still figuring out what to do with all those vinyl records, cassette tapes, and VHS tapes, not to mention aged electronics, computer hardware, and software.

Why can't they just do it once, and do it right?

My component stereo system (w/cassette player & turntable) has been described as a "classic antique" -- if it's still described anywhere anymore.

Works fine, though.

And saved myself a bundle over the decades by not replacing it.

But sure don't miss that Commodore 64 . . . with dial-up.

Edited by JRScruggs on 01/24/2012 02:19:05 MST.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Re: This Should Be Interesting on 01/24/2012 04:12:05 MST Print View

Google + was very popular for a while, but most people don't want to start up yet another social site. And Google + is just as bad as Facebook in terms of privacy issues. The one I really like (and from whom Google stole the ideas for "circles") is "Diaspora". Unfortunately it has been moving very slowly and not keeping up with the times. Nobody wanted to join.

The idea of a backup is something I'd really like to find a fix for, because if anything happens to Facebook, I will probably lose touch with a lot of very important old friends and new friends whom I had lost touch with for many years. Facebook allowed me to get back in touch with them and stay in touch with them daily, reviving our friendships. But how to implement a backup? Not an easy thing to do. Plaxo is designed as an online address book, and might be a good solution. As would LInkedIn, though it is too much of a commercial thing for me.

For calling people I use either Skype or Fring. Fring was the service that was a lifeline last year during the earthquake when there was no way to get a hold of family and friends with the telephone or cell phone services.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Re: This Should Be Interesting & More Questions on 01/24/2012 04:22:52 MST Print View

Nick, email has its uses, but it just doesn't work well as a social "gathering" platform. Imagine doing these BPL discussions through email! It would never work! There is something about the visual representation of being together that generates discussions. Email is better for quick business correspondence and private messages and proposals, something where one person is taking the time to write something that requires a specific answer, but not for something that requires a thread of disparate answers that build upon one another.

Living in Japan as a non-Japanese can be very akin to living in Alaska in winter. It is not easy getting close to Japanese; Japan is the only place of the hundreds of places around the world where I have friends, where I have no close, daily corresponding friends. Many non-Japanese complain about it. So Facebook is a very big help, socially and mentally.

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Re: Re: This Should Be Interesting & More Questions on 01/24/2012 05:23:07 MST Print View

"I did sign up for Tweeter a few years ago, to follow a cross country race my son was in as someone was posting the race, and that was the last time I used that thing."

Hi Nick

Like me, you're showing your age. I understand that it's Twitter and that you tweet.

But on principle I do social media as little as possible.

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Re: Re: This Should Be Interesting & More Questions on 01/24/2012 05:24:52 MST Print View

"Living in Japan as a non-Japanese can be very akin to living in Alaska in winter."

Or, judging from the NHK news I just watched, being in Tokyo at the moment is just like being in Alaska in winter.

Edited by Arapiles on 01/24/2012 05:32:10 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: This Should Be Interesting & More Questions on 01/24/2012 06:52:33 MST Print View

"Now some (or most) will say I am just an old, technology illiterate fool."

Well, yeah, but that doesn't make you a bad person..... ;-)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: This Should Be Interesting & More Questions on 01/24/2012 10:37:08 MST Print View

You know, when I think back to when I was young things were a lot different of course. And maybe all these advances are not so good. When I was a kid we didn't have a phone and we were fine. As a matter of fact, I didn't know how to use one until I was in college. As a kid I didn't know how to use a pay phone so I never needed to call someone. If I wanted to talk to a friend, I WALKED to their house. If I wanted to communicate to someone far a way I wrote a letter. And most people who had phones didn't make many long distance calls, because it was too expensive. The communication overload is like fast foods, instant I-want-it-now gratification. Heck McDonalds used to have 60 second timing clocks in their drive-thrus to show how fast your order was prepared.

In the 80's there was no public Internet and I expanded my horizons with a Commodore 64, a 300 baud modem, and the text-based CompuServe network. So today's Internet and broadband modems are a vast improvement.

I am not saying all of this is bad, but we are in Social Media Overload. Think about it... 40 years ago people called friends and relatives once in a great while (usually holidays) and they wrote letters. They spent their free time with their families or outside. Obesity, crime, and mental health issues were lower than today. There was little in the way of television. If you lived in a large metro area, you maybe received 10 television stations. Rural areas fewer or none. Today most people get a least a hundred TV stations. Why do we need so much TV?

I know or talk to people who have blogs and use FaceBook, Tweeter, LinkedIn, Forums, RSS feeds delivering content from dozens of Websites, etc. Gigabytes of information flowing into their homes day and night. People who are spending so much time online. It is not uncommon for people, in the middle of a conversation, to whip out their cell phone and start texting. I see people walking on the streets or in parks texting as they go with no idea of their surroundings. They do it when driving. It is like they are walking around in an alternate world. Why our our lives so busy that we have to talk to people when driving?

The link that Ben posted said that FaceBook has 60,000 servers. SIXTY THOUSAND servers. That is a lot of electricity, and most electricity comes from coal.

We are social animals and need some social interaction, but not 24/7. Prior to joining BPL I spent time on a tent trailer forum. Initially it was to learn more about trailers, because I wanted to rebuild/remodel mine. And I made some friends there, even traveled to Rocky Mountain National Park and Ontario, Canada to camp with some new friends. But now my camper has been modified to my satisfaction, and that forum is a lot of stuff rehashed over and over, and I have moved on. I do visit it once in a while to see how old friends are doing. But one thing I saw was many people were posting every single day, and maybe used their campers 7 or 10 days a year. Seems rather silly. They should use it 50 days a year and cut down on the computer time, IMO. I suspect it is similar here on BPL. It is rare for me to post here on weekends because on my days off I am camping or hiking, which is why I am not overweight, nor do I have any health problems. When I joined BPL, it was to learn more about UL gear. I found this forum intellectually stimulating and the right mix of knowledge, eccentricity, and personalities. Now if BPL were to close today, that would be sad, but I would not go looking for another site to fill a void, because there would be no void, just a little more free time.

So to sum it up I think too many people are addicted to social media, and are really socially dysfunctional. I spend a lot of time in my job teaching people how to work with customers. Too much of the younger generations want to sit behind a computer screen when communicating with customers. I have to teach them how to make eye contact, how to engage people in conversation, how to build rapport... things that used to come naturally to people. We have brains, eyes, ears, and mouths so we can communicate. I envision that in a few million years (should the species survive), humans will have only eyes and long skinny fingers, which will be an adaption for keyboards and screens. Their eyes will be too sensitive for sunlight, because humans will have spent most of their time indoors. They will not have vocal cords because they quit using them :)

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: This Should Be Interesting on 01/24/2012 10:51:06 MST Print View

Hey Ben!!

BPL IS my facebook.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
Two comments... on 01/24/2012 11:06:49 MST Print View

Two things this discussion made me think about that I think add to the discussion...

First point, I read an article recently that said the internet IS ACTUALLY making us dumber in a sense. The information is so easy to look up or 'google' and we all have devices that tap into this vast network of information with ease, that our brains are cataloging not the actual information, but how to look up the information. In other words you don't necessarily remember the year Abraham Lincoln was assassinated, you remember that Wikipedia has that information and you can get to it by googling "Abraham Lincoln". We subconsciously know how easy that information is to find so our brains will forgo or skip over the need to memorize the actual information. Apparently this is more prevalent the younger and more 'wired in' you are. The attitude is kind of 'why should I learn history, Wikipedia has it all right there'. Same thing with spelling, grammar, etc, MS Word will fix it, now worries.

Second point, my father used the services of a corporate attorney out of NYC for many years and at several companies he worked at. Apparently the guy is pretty old, maybe in his 80's by now. He is kind of a strategy, big picture type guy, head partner at his firm. If you want some piddly thing you work with his other partners but if you have something of importance it makes it to this guy. He does not use email, does not have a computer. He accepts phone calls after they have been screened and only to listen and ask questions, he will render NO advice over the phone, he prefers if you write him a letter and mail or fax it. His only responses come by faxed, formal letter with the original by mail followed by a hefty bill. This whole process is designed to give him time to think about the issue or problem and mull it over. Sometimes his response takes a week but my father said it is ALWAYS dead on the money and worth it's weight in gold. The guy is highly valued and VERY wealthy, this is how he has been doing business for decades. His thing is, you get what you pay for and you aren't paying me for some off the cuff response. You will get your answer once I have thought it over.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: This Should Be Interesting & More Questions on 01/24/2012 11:17:49 MST Print View

"And maybe all these advances are not so good"

I wonder if the "horseless carriage" is a good thing, we did just fine walking and riding horses (ridiculous example to make point, I'm not sure what the point is though...)