What is your SUL sleep system?
Display Avatars Sort By:
K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
RE: on 05/09/2012 22:08:17 MDT Print View

Mike, my quilt weighs 10.7oz, I'm a warm sleeper and wear all my clothing when I sleep and can take it into the 30's with no problems. FYI to give an idea how I sleep, I took a WM highlite down to 19F wearing paty 3 base layers, merino top, synthetic jacket, wool socks and a MH dome beanie- I was cold but not too bad. Here is my quilt.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=61312

Edited by KalebC on 05/09/2012 22:15:47 MDT.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
What is your SUL sleep System? on 05/09/2012 22:24:39 MDT Print View

Sleep stuff:

WM Highlite 18oz
NeoAir Xlite (L) 15.5oz
Kooka Bay Pillow 1.3oz
Suluk 46 PGS Pad 2.2oz

Clothes stuff:

BPL Merino Wool LS Top 6.7oz
Patagonia Long Johns 4.4oz
WM Flash Vest 6.3oz
Beanie 1.1oz
Balaclava 1.5oz
Wright Socks 0.8oz
Patagonia Merino Liners 1.2oz

Plus a good hardy dinner!

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
x on 09/03/2012 10:25:08 MDT Print View

I have a Tim Marshall 15 degree cubin quilt that is 14 oz.

I have a 1/4 inch GG Hammock pad that I cut down at 4 oz and a 25 inch by 20 inch xlite pad that I cut that also weighs 4 oz. I bring the xlite because I shattered my ribs in 1989 and it allows me to sleep. If it pops I still have the Hammock pad to keep me warm but probably awake for most of the night. In the shoulder seasons I have a prolite 1/2 inch pad cut down.

Edited by anthonyweston on 10/19/2012 15:35:55 MDT.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Not a SULer but... on 09/07/2012 20:23:05 MDT Print View

Sleep systems are always a problem. Weight v.s. comfort is the main problem.

For summer and high alpine, near and below freezing nights I have:

BAG> Western Mountaineering Megalite overfilled W/ 1 oz. 850 fill down (I have wide shoulders & need it)good to 15-20 F.

MATTRESS> Thermarest Prolite reg. (because I "need" the comfort and it's very little heavier than a Neo Air of the same length.)

VERY cold nights> For below 15 F., Eddie Bauer First Ascent down sweater & med. poly long johns W/ balaclava.

You could use a short Prolite and your CCF sit pad as a combo mattress. Sew VELCRO strips in the bottom end of the Prolite hem and glue VELCRO on the sit pad to hold them together.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
Warmer season SUL on 09/08/2012 08:26:41 MDT Print View

For most of the year here in the SE, it's not very cold.

Bag = Montbell Ultralight Down Thermal Sheet(Rated down to 50*F) 13 oz.
Pad = Klymit X-Lite 6.5 oz.
Groundsheet = Trimmed "space" mylar sheet 2 oz.

If it gets cooler, or wetter and cooler, I add an AMK SOL Emergency Bivy(3.5 oz) inside the Montbell as a Vapor Barrier Layer, and use another AMK SOL Emergency Bivy(3.5 oz) on the outside, to prevent rain or condensation getting on the outside of the bag.
This really improves the performance of the system, and can go quite a bit lower in temp this way. And the totally waterproof arrangement is possible when using an inner VBL, and this keeps the bag completely dry with the outer AMK SOL bivy around it, even in rain spray or heavy condensation inside the tarp.

During the winter, it gets "less SUL" because I have to add a nearly 2 pound WM Alpinlite bag, and a GG Thinlight 3/16" ccf pad(4 oz). Plus, I have more clothes. I'm more "UL" in the winter than "SUL".

I put it all under a Gatewood Cape(11 oz), and use the matching Six Moons Serenity Net-Tent(8 oz) when necessary during buggy trips.
If I don't need full coverage shelter, then I bring my ID Siltarp 5x8(7 oz) instead.

Andrew Fox
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Re: What is your SUL sleep system? on 09/10/2012 08:09:51 MDT Print View

1.6 oz polycro (if not using tent)
8.3 oz Ridgerest 20x48 inches
21 oz Montbell SS UL #3 down bag (30F EN tested)

This is good down to 30F, a little lower if I carry and wear a jacket.

I'm still undecided whether or not I'm going to keep using the Ridgerest rather than the Exped SynMat UL7. The RR is lighter, simpler, and more durable.

Edited by AndyF on 09/10/2012 08:11:24 MDT.