Look a Retail source for Pertex
Display Avatars Sort By:
J W
(jhaura) - F

Locale: www.Trailability.com
Look a Retail source for Pertex on 01/22/2007 22:47:32 MST Print View

I haven't verified the type of pertex but this looks interesting:

http://www.justmakeit.com/fabrics/water_repell/pertex.html

They also have primaloft and other useful fabrics for myog.

Canadian company though.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
re:Look a Retail source for Pertex on 01/22/2007 23:14:39 MST Print View

uh.. how can it be "windproof" AND "breathable"? The bad wind can't get from the outside in, but good ventilation air can get from the inside out?
And if they are referring to moisture transport and not air permeability, then is it a claim that water vapor can get out, but Ni, O2 etc. can not get in? Pretty amazing claim a la goretex.
Sorry Im jaded, my Marmot Ion is made of this stuff acording to the manufacuturer, and it is like a trash bag with arms. I get tired of these ridiculous claims.

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: re:Look a Retail source for Pertex on 01/23/2007 09:13:59 MST Print View

>uh.. how can it be "windproof" AND "breathable"?

As mentioned in other threads, Pertex seems to be a family of products (complete with complaints about the Marmot Ion). However, I have a Montane Aero (size XXL: 3.2 oz) made from Pertex Quantum that is completely windproof (I was in a blizzard where I was knocked over by gusts but didn't feel any colder) and very breathable (I have dried a soaked base layer when breaking out above treeline when I added the Aero to stop the wind). (Edit: commentary on Patagonia Micropuff withdrawn.) These are just some of the extremes that this material has handled, and it works fine for everything in between. (Note: this material is _not_ waterproof, or even water-resistant as claimed; it wets out within five minutes.) I understand that some items labeled "Pertex" don't work as expected, but I consider the Pertex Quantum used in these this product to border on the miraculous.

Edited by Otter on 01/23/2007 15:41:02 MST.

J W
(jhaura) - F

Locale: www.Trailability.com
Thread Hyjacked on 01/23/2007 09:43:02 MST Print View

Oh no, my thread has been hyjacked! Please back to pertex myog fabric retail, thanks.

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: Thread Hyjacked on 01/23/2007 10:00:29 MST Print View

>Oh no, my thread has been hyjacked! Please back to pertex myog fabric retail, thanks.

Sorry, I just didn't want people to shy away from trying this material because of some vendors' problems. Is this actually Quantum, or the equivalent?

Charles Strusz
(infochuck) - F
JustMakeIt pertex on 01/23/2007 10:17:03 MST Print View

I've inquired about their Pertex on a previous occasion, and it was Pertex 565 - which I think is also known as 'Pertex 4" or 'Pertex Classic' (ie, it is NOT Quantum).

Weights listed online are either 1.6 oz/sq yd or 1.8, depending on the information source.

Gene .
(Tracker)

Locale: New England
Re: re:Look a Retail source for Pertex on 01/23/2007 12:00:27 MST Print View

Brett you WANT a Montane Litespeed Jacket AND Pants! They are the REAL Pertex deal!