Forum Index » Chaff » Favorite BPL forum personalities

Display Avatars Sort By:
James Landro
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Favorite BPL forum personalities on 01/23/2012 10:56:33 MST Print View

We all have our favorite posters, let's show them some love!

1) Mike Moore - I appreciate that he is very levelheaded, get's out a lot, gives perspective from game/wildlife management perspective and is super friendly!
2) Douglas Ide - Such an eloquent charlatan!
3) Hikin' Jim - Inducing stove frenzy one post at a time. I want to make all my omelets over camp stoves now. Death to the range!
4) Kat P - One tough knitter!
5) David Chenault - Always dreaming up funky adventures that are accessible.

I know I have more, really some incredible people here!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Favorite BPL forum personalities on 01/23/2012 11:51:14 MST Print View

Gosh, there are so many. I wouldn't try to list them all. I even enjoy the couple I butt heads with all the time.

James Landro
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Re: Favorite BPL forum personalities on 01/23/2012 12:05:05 MST Print View

"Gosh, there are so many. I wouldn't try to list them all. I even enjoy the couple I butt heads with all the time."

Absolutely! Bob Gross is amazing, yet some things he can write make me all twisted up, Ha!

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Favorite BPL forum personalities on 01/23/2012 13:04:51 MST Print View

And let's not forget Anna O'Leary, the unsung Queen of Links. And then there's Travis, everybody's favorite Cheesehead. And Miguel and Mike Reed and Richard Nisley and Ben and the entire CA gang, and on and on and on....

Edited by Zia-Grill-Guy on 01/23/2012 13:06:02 MST.

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Re: Favorite BPL forum personalities on 01/23/2012 13:23:16 MST Print View

Ide: he always brings the humor and lightens the mood

Nick gatel: he is wise and seems to have reasonable thoughts all the time

Mike reid: I appreciate sarcasm in many forms

Thom: BPL's in house "santa clause" - always giving generously

mike moore: just for sheer moustache manliness

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Favorite BPL forum personalities on 01/23/2012 13:27:16 MST Print View

Okay, I changed my mind. I will post one. There was one person who contributed so much, was always level headed, funny, always positive, added humor, and seemed to be universally liked. That person was George Matthews. Unfortunately we lost him last year.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Favorite BPL forum personalities on 01/23/2012 13:28:36 MST Print View

There's just a fantastic range of great people on here, which is mostly why I keep coming back. And, like Nick, I even enjoy some of the people I've disagreed with.

Despite the rash of grouchy threads this winter, the community is still what separates BPL from anywhere else (Ok, and the articles).

I also think various people serve various "purposes," which makes a complete community. Some are science-oriented and know a lot of techie stuff. Some know a lot about places, and others about specific gear categories. Others chime in when they have an opportunity to help. And then there's the serious people, funny people, grouchy people, level-headed people...

...and then there's Douglas Ide. We're not sure where he belongs yet. :)

But seriously--loads of great people.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
+1 to George Matthews on 01/23/2012 13:30:19 MST Print View

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Favorite BPL forum personalities on 01/23/2012 16:19:38 MST Print View

There are so many! Since I'm off to work I'll think about whether to post this or not. Don't want to make anyone feel left out.

One thing I've been working on is a two-fold idea for BPL. One is a running UL comic strip, the other is a bi-weekly caricature of some UL character or forum member. I think I'd have a lot of fun drawing and thinking up ways to portray different people. I might keep it separate on my own blog, or talk to BPL staff about it here. Not sure yet. What do you think?

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Miguel on 01/23/2012 19:20:48 MST Print View

+1 on your ideas. Sound fun and I'm good spirit.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Favorite BPL forum personalities" on 01/23/2012 19:39:10 MST Print View

@Miguel,

I love your idea, make it happen!

Favorite BPL forum personality? This one is easy, he kept things real always.

George Matthews. Rest In Peace dude.

Favorite BPL forum 'personalities'?

Dan McHale

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Favorite BPL forum personalities on 01/25/2012 11:17:08 MST Print View

I like everybody on this BPL forum, I Really like the MYOG crowd.

Roger Caffin his high knowledge in all aspects of backpacking, design,BPL articles and his view of bush walking in Australia I really enjoy them.
http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Index.htm

Dan McHale for sharing his many years of custom backpack making skills and giving us a very important tool "Pack Volume-Go Figure!" tutorial I use it all the time before I make a pack.
http://www.mchalepacks.com/

Christopher Zimmer and his ways of simplifying pack design to make it lighter weight and attention to detail his great sewing skills, photographic display of his designs.
http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/

Bill Fornshell and his pushing the envelope with ultra lite skunk works working with exotic fabric before most of us did. He's just like the real Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works using exotic design and material in their airplanes. And he did this to make back packing more comfortable for him and his personal use and sharing of his ideas.
http://ultraliteskunkworks.blogspot.com/

Daryl Clark is fun in MYOG with his projects and in all his overall fun postings.

Tim Marshall's quilt making skills and sharing his quilt making knowledge.
enlightenedequipment.com/

What is really neat is Christopher Zimmer and Tim Marshal MYOG projects went from personal use in MYOG. Because of the praise of their designs and ideas attention to detail they have become a cottage industry backpacking manufactures.

The most important person we owe a big thank you to is Ryan Jordan for creating this forum and making this group a think tank of ideas.

Terry