Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
First Image Post - Fort Clinch State Park, FL
Display Avatars Sort By:
Scott Robertson
(SRPhotographic) - F
First Image Post - Fort Clinch State Park, FL on 01/22/2007 21:11:30 MST Print View

Hello! This is my first photo post. I am a professional photographer in Gainesville, FL.

These photos are from a group camping trip to Fort Clinch State Park in Northeastern Florida. Comments and questions welcomed and encouraged.

Crab boat at sunrise

Group shot by Fort Clinch's outer walls

View of Cumberland Island National Seashore across the St. Mary's River

Fort Clinch at sunrise

Stephen Nelson
(stephenn6289) - F

Locale: Sunshine State
we floridians need to go west on 01/23/2007 19:41:21 MST Print View

great pictures, do you use any gradient filters?. and as the title suggestes, we've got to get out west sometime.

Scott Robertson
(SRPhotographic) - F
ND Gradient on 01/23/2007 23:16:18 MST Print View

Thanks, Stephen. We do need to get out west; the farthest West I have been is South Dakota.

I do not use ND Grad. filters. I had a cokin series ND Grad. filter before my lenses outgrew them (filter size 77mm, yikes). Instead of using ND grads, I am just very very careful with my exposure. I use a sturdy (and heavy, egh) tripod and shoot at ISO100 so I won't run into any problems with noise. I will typically slightly underexpose the foreground and slightly overexpose the sky. I then use photoshop to correct the exposure with dodging and burning. It tends to work well in most situations.

Stephen Nelson
(stephenn6289) - F

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: ND Gradient on 01/25/2007 17:35:05 MST Print View

wow, thats cool, thanks

Dylan Skola
(phageghost) - F

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: ND Gradient on 01/25/2007 17:57:52 MST Print View

Stephen,

If you auto-bracket your exposures from a tripod, you can blend them in photoshop to achieve the same effect as a ND filter (but with more flexibility, since it doesn't need a flat horizon). This article on Luminous Landscape describes the technique pretty well.

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania
Grad ND filters on 01/31/2007 12:05:32 MST Print View

I submit that it is preferable to use a Grad ND filter in the field for both digital or transparency film rather than rely entirely upon Photoshop or equivalent digital program. Both digital and transparency film require that the highlights not burn out. You will obtain a better final print with the filter with less problem rather than rely entirely upon the digital process.

I am presently using the Cokin P holder with Singh-Ray Grad ND filters. Lee also makes very high quality Grad ND filters that will operate with this holder as well. Additionally, Singh-Ray also makes warm Polarizing filters that fit this holder though they are expensive.

In my case however, I am using a variety of cameras including my 2lb 12oz Toho Shimo FC-45X 4 X 5 Field camera with a variety of lenses and tripod.

Rich