How I Make a Living as an Adventurer
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
the secret! on 04/07/2014 14:28:24 MDT Print View

Perhaps this is the best way to be a full time adventurer? :)
http://www.theonion.com/articles/im-just-a-free-spirit-who-is-entirely-financially,33905/

I need a trust fund. Anyone want to adopt a short, bald guy who is not-quite-40?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Another one bites the dust on 04/07/2014 14:50:22 MDT Print View

Geez, 32 is young! ;-) Heck, I was having kids at 37 and 39!! I had a kid at 24 and then spent my 20's and early 30's hiking. So I guess I see 32 as a good age.

IMO, waiting till 30 or older isn't an issue with marriage! If anything you have time to grow up and find what you want to be.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: the secret! on 04/07/2014 16:27:39 MDT Print View

Ha! Good find Pmags, though the Average Joe (and Jane) must save money like other types of vacation (or "stack bills" in stripper parlance). Besides a trust fund, .. a nice police, firefighters, or similar pension that can be taken while young helps too (though these are dangerous jobs where there's less chance of collecting).

Again hats off to Shurka but that doesn't mean everyone else is hosed.

Edited by hknewman on 04/07/2014 16:33:51 MDT.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
life on 04/08/2014 20:21:46 MDT Print View

There isnt any right way, and few legal wrong ways, to live a life.

But I do think that the vast majority of modern people have been so brainwashed by our society and upbringing within it, they unfortunately never realize there are alternative paths in life that dont include career, house, spouse, and 2.3 kids.

Its far too easy to get carried away with the ease that debt is granted on whims. People dont realize its a trap, until their desires change, but the debt is still there. Freedom, is lack of debt. Mort gage, is literally french for death pledge.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: life on 04/09/2014 12:15:29 MDT Print View

"Mort gage, is literally french for death pledge."

And "rent," I believe, is West Flemish for "buying a dead horse."

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Word Origins on 04/09/2014 12:42:47 MDT Print View

The great jurist Sir Edward Coke, who lived from 1552 to 1634, explained why the term mortgage comes from the Old French words mort, "dead," and gage, "pledge."

It had to do with the doubtfulness of whether the mortgagor will pay the debt. If the mortgagor does not, then the land pledged to the mortgagee as security for the debt "is taken from him for ever, and so dead to him upon condition, &c. And if he doth pay the money, then the pledge is dead as to the [mortgagee]." The term has been in English much longer than the 17th century, being first recorded in Middle English with the form morgage and the figurative sense "pledge" in a work written before 1393.

By the way, the French legal system does not have "mortgage" -- they have a very similar concept called "hypothèque".

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Re: life on 04/09/2014 12:50:39 MDT Print View

I recently have come to terms with an obvious realization that wasn't so obvious to me.
My bucket wish list far exceeds my time. Common denominator is 24 hrs a day and there are about 20 to 30 years I life when health, finances, maturity, trail wisdom overlap.

In the younger year I had the stamina and time but no finances or knowledge. Now I'm on the last third of my life cycle, I have experience and coins but the bad genes are making it harder to do the big adventures, longer recovery time, etc.

So now my plan is to ignore the bucket wish list, and just grab an opportunity of time weather health family job and see what plan I can put together.

In my teens I was afraid of separating from the herd. Now the obligations of the herd keep me from separating.

alastair humphreys
(alastairhumphreys) - MLife

Locale: UK
How I Make a Living as an Adventurer on 04/10/2014 02:03:14 MDT Print View

I've made my living as an adventurer for 13 years now.
Here are a few of my thoughts on the subject. I hope they help!

http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/living-travels/
http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/living-love/

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: life on 04/16/2014 07:58:51 MDT Print View

"Its far too easy to get carried away with the ease that debt is granted on whims. People dont realize its a trap, until their desires change, but the debt is still there. Freedom, is lack of debt."

Bingo. MB hit the nail on the head. Debt, especially car payments, are the curse of the middle class. If we can get over our lust for the automobile & see them only as transportation, society will take a giant step forward.

PS - Happy to see Skurka found love and got married. A bit sad though. Maybe one more huge hike from him, but that's probably it.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 04/16/2014 08:07:16 MDT.

Bob Shaver
(rshaver) - F

Locale: West
I give up on 04/18/2014 22:54:23 MDT Print View

I have not been very successful trying to convince other people to do or believe what I want them to, so I gave up. I just do what I like and believe what I believe, and they can do as they choose. Me having an opinion about their choices doesn't accomplish anything. If someone chooses not to marry and to hike instead, more power to them. Solo hiking is kind of boring for me, but that is just me.

Mark S
(gixer) - F
Re: Re: life on 04/19/2014 06:29:57 MDT Print View

Ryan,

Agree on taking loans out for cars, it's the dumbest thing anyone can do with their money this side of flushing it down the toilet.
I've been driving and owning cars for over 30 years now though and i've never once been in debt for any of those cars or motorbikes.

Granted i have and would never buy a new one but car ownership doesn't automatically mean it's a curse.

Obviously if money is extremely tight then it's going to be very tough to run and maintain a car, but then no one said car ownerships is not without it's costs.

Biggest problem as far as i'm concerned is people living the lifestyle they feel they deserve rather than the one they can afford.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: life on 04/19/2014 08:49:18 MDT Print View

This is a great thread - it's actually part of why BPL has become a bit of a life changer for me. I spent my entire youth and early adulthood pursuing career and money - and found it was not at all fun.

Now I'm working very, very hard to cast off my debt, my possessions, and need as little money as possible. I don't want a big house - honestly, the idea of tiny house living is actually very attractive to me! Heck - I often wonder if living in a yurt would be as cool as it sounds.

This way if I don't NEED a lot of money to maintain all the things I used to feel like I needed to accumulate, then I don't need to work as much (yeah obamacare!) and I can live simply (http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1812048,00.html) and spend my time not working to pay my mortgage and car payment and, well, working just to work more...

but rather to be able to live my life on my terms - family, friends, my dog, nature, cuben fiber.............

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: life on 04/19/2014 10:28:49 MDT Print View

"my dog, nature, cuben fiber............."

LOL, yeah, don't forget the cuben. If Thoreau was writing today he would have a chapter on it in Walden. (insert ironic smiley here to stave off ironically impaired rants)

But seriously, agree %100 - about Obamacare as well, the main thing missing from Caveman life. That and my espresso machine.

I think we are genetically programed to be happier living less regimented, stationary and burdened lives. I think that "adventure" is actually closer to a modern version of what we did as a species the last 30000 years. So, again ironically but in a different way, Andrew Skurka in the middle of the Brooks range looking at all the caribou tracks, feeling humbled, and throwing things at charging Grizzlies ... that seems to me much closer to a genetically preconditioned state of Eden than working in a cubicle. To paraphrase Lawrence of Arabia (movie not his book), "You can do what you want, but you can't want what you want".

Edited by millonas on 04/19/2014 10:33:27 MDT.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Starting a long adventure made simple on 04/20/2014 03:34:43 MDT Print View

@ Jennifer et al: the quote in the OP says it all
http://andrewskurka.com/2012/how-i-make-a-living-as-an-adventurer/

Q: What is just as effective as making money? A: Not spending money.

It's getting easier to do that from my perspective. Since the loss of net neutrality, my search engine results have gone haywire (my smartphone results just gave me the nearest open convenience store as being 900 miles away at 3AM), my cable company wants to increase my rates even though it's just the Kardashians on television, and there's been a flood of recall notices out there recently. Pay more for defective goods and services ... or save it for an adventure? Hmmmm. Let me think..

Add these are "first world problems" certainly, .. but at least several hundreds of dollars per month worth of first world problems

Edited by hknewman on 04/20/2014 12:57:05 MDT.

Virginia Craft
(aletheia.va) - F

Locale: Feet dangling from the perimeter
Re: Re: life on 05/09/2014 06:07:12 MDT Print View

"There is no one way to be a "grown-up." Problem is, most people still believe a marriage, kids, and a mortgage somehow means they've "arrived" in adulthood, when actually we can all think of people who have these things but who are irresponsible and emotionally immature. What's worse, many people seem end up in this conventional life arrangement with little self-awareness of where their life is going. The Artic 1000 took a type of mental maturity most of us here will never achieve. If Skurka consciously chooses that route of self-development instead of the more common and socially expected one, that's not Peter Pan syndrome. It's just a different path."

That sums it up pretty well, I'd say.

Edited by aletheia.va on 05/09/2014 06:09:16 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: life on 05/09/2014 17:40:10 MDT Print View

"If Skurka consciously chooses that route of self-development instead of the more common and socially expected one, that's not Peter Pan syndrome. It's just a different path."

IME, it's the preferred path. To this day, I take it as a compliment when someone tells me to grow up. ;o)

"The Artic 1000 took a type of mental maturity most of us here will never achieve."

It definitely took mental maturity, if by that you mean putting your egos aside and
focusing on the business at hand with a clear mind, realistic expectations of what is
within your capabilities under the circumstances in which you find yourselves, and planning/acting accordingly. However, I disagree that this kind of mental maturity will never be achieved by most of us. Anybody who is into climbing of any kind, diving(free or with tanks), or any number of other activities with potentially fatal consequences, achieve that kind of mental maturity on a regular basis. Or die.