Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
My BPL family, an apology
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
My BPL family, an apology on 01/21/2012 19:48:57 MST Print View

Wow. What can I say about the majority of my recent posts. OK they make me sound like an Odious Bastard Curmudgeon. Amongst other things.

Why is this so? Well it has been unusually stressful as of late. Had to rebuild the engine in the Vanagon as a bolt backed out the day before Christmas Eve. Unplanned major expenditure, never good on a tight budget.

Why take it out on you? I don't have anyone else as my wife won't let me act like this at home.

I do look at many members here at BPL as family. Don't have a large one myself. Many here are the types of people that you wish were your family.

I have made many friends here over the years. I hope that this continues. To continue I need to use better judgement at times.

Still have to speak up when the BS gets too deep. But hey, I am aware of that trait and that is who I am.

To those of you who I have offended, I am sorry.

Come to the GGG if you can. I'd love to meet you.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: My BPL family, an apology on 01/21/2012 19:57:02 MST Print View

Gosh Ken, I'm getting all weepy. We won't quit you man! Ummmmmm, not like that though..... ;-)

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"My BPL family, an apology" on 01/21/2012 19:59:48 MST Print View

*Group hug.

You're the man Ken.

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re:My BPL family, an apology on 01/21/2012 20:03:16 MST Print View

How bad of a guy could you be? You own a Vanagon. Makes you okay in my book.

Edited by dirk9827 on 01/21/2012 20:03:59 MST.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re on 01/21/2012 20:03:20 MST Print View

"To those of you who I have offended, I am sorry."

Me too. Some threads have gotten nasty lately and I'm pulling out of that for the time being. Enough nasty threads. Wish I could post a trip report to be more productive but unfortunately haven't been out it a while. Maybe this spring break...

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re on 01/21/2012 20:47:54 MST Print View

Ken, there has been a lot of forum drama all around. Comes in waves; I think we learn from it. As someone who knows you in person, I can say that you are a very kind, thoughtful and easygoing person; one of my favorite people all around.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
My BPL family, an apology on 01/21/2012 21:51:21 MST Print View

I don't have a vanagon with a bad motor, but I feel like I'm suffering from the same mailaise. Wish I could explain it. Never give up, never surrender.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: My BPL family, an apology on 01/21/2012 22:05:10 MST Print View

On a positive note. The van is all back together and ready to head south to the GGG. Runs great. No more excuses. Commander Taggart will save us.

Chris C
(cvcass) - MLife

Locale: State of Jefferson
apology on 01/21/2012 22:16:53 MST Print View

Whats wrong with being an "Odious Bastard Curmudgeon" from time to time?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: apology on 01/21/2012 22:27:29 MST Print View

Nothing other than I feel like I was overachieving.

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Locale: South East
Re: Re: apology on 01/21/2012 22:55:38 MST Print View

Good on you Ken. This place could use more humility and self examination as of late.

Thank you.

Edited by anywayoutside on 01/21/2012 23:06:48 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: apology on 01/22/2012 02:07:37 MST Print View

>Good on you Ken. This place could use more humility and self examination as of late.
>Thank you.

+1

I never really gave your recent posts much thought regarding your admission, but it takes some balls to come out and admit one's perceived shortcomings. Though none were really perceived here. Regardless, we all have our off day, week, month, or even year. Our mistakes do not define us because our true nature always shows through. Thoughtful and considerate people will always be able to sort out our "off days" from the real "us."

Needed or not, your public "apology" shows more character than you think. I'm of the opinion that the recent backlash against BPL is not really BPL's fault, but rather people failing to do more of what you have done here.

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: My BPL family, an apology on 01/22/2012 02:27:23 MST Print View

Hey, Ken --

Old Farts have earned a lot of leeway to let loose, hopefully experienced by others from an upwind perspective, but a lot of leeway nevertheless.

So let the curmodgeon posts roll and offend away!!!

Just remember: BS is a matter of relative perspectives so what one person views as BS is savored by another like a fine merlot.

Variety in life is great! Long live curmodgeonous old farts!

Edited by JRScruggs on 01/22/2012 02:28:51 MST.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: apology on 01/22/2012 06:29:54 MST Print View

Hi Ken,
I wasn't one of the "offended" but I respect the openness of your post, just as I've appreciated your thoughtful responses in the past. I hope to be counted amongst your friends in the future. Glad things are starting to look up.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
The unexamined life on 01/22/2012 17:39:36 MST Print View

is not worth living.

You've just revealed your true character, Ken, and given a lot of other people reason to pause and examine. Posters and, I hope, non posters alike.

Good on ya for performing a public service at a most propitious time.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

My BPL family, an apology on 06/15/2012 07:00:04 MDT Print View

Bump. Still holds true.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: My BPL family, an apology on 06/15/2012 07:23:11 MDT Print View

Well, I wouldn't have defended you if I didn't think you were trying to say something with dignity and sincerity. And I've been thinking a lot lately that I, too, have been rolling the steam roller a bit too often. And at least you're a curmudgeon and not a honey-dripper, full of false bravado and trying to make things look better than they really are. I also believe you have a good point. Nothing to feel ashamed of. Usually it's someone who IS thinking who makes an effort to point out some glitches that no one else is willing to commit to.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: My BPL family, an apology on 06/15/2012 08:03:22 MDT Print View

I found nothing wrong with your posts. This is a forum after all.

Keep it real, like you always do, and it will be appreciated.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: My BPL family, an apology on 06/15/2012 08:52:59 MDT Print View

No problem with anyone's posts, but

at some point has everything been said that can be about criticism of BPL or Ryan?

on the other hand, if I don't want to read something I can just skip it

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: My BPL family, an apology on 06/15/2012 12:37:18 MDT Print View

Not replying to the op means there is no issue