Forum Index » Chaff » A Kinder, Gentler and Less Hypocritical Leadership? Maybe Not...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
A Kinder, Gentler and Less Hypocritical Leadership? Maybe Not... on 01/21/2012 19:15:51 MST Print View

Newt won SC today. Sigh...

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Never Mind on 01/21/2012 19:33:33 MST Print View

For a minute I thought we were bashing BPL leadership again. Just politics as usual, I'm moving on to other things.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Never Mind on 01/21/2012 19:38:39 MST Print View

Strange, reads like you were actually disappointed after clicking to find the topic not about bashing BPL leadership?? As a mere individual, I don't pretend to have the answers, but I do have my views. Given the state of affairs of our nation today, I am sorry that you see this as "politics as usual and you're moving on"...

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Re A Kinder, Gentler and Less Hypocritical Leadership on 01/21/2012 19:46:57 MST Print View

No Ben I was just glad to see we weren't about to start another nasty thread. That is something we could probably have less of in this community. "Politics as usual" to me just means no matter what your views are there are things in politics that will make you want to rip your hair out. I'll keep up with the issues and vote when I need to but for me thats a ways off and tonight I want to relax, and politics makes me want to rip my hair out and do unrelaxing things.

Edited by Cameron on 01/21/2012 19:53:36 MST.

a b
(Ice-axe)
Confused on 01/21/2012 19:47:37 MST Print View

I am a bit confused these days.
I don't understand politics.
I am voting for Ron Paul because I understand what he says when he is speaking even though i don't always agree.
Even if he does not get the nod, I will write him in.
I like enough of his ideas and I know; as president, only some of his ideas will ever come to pass if any at all.
Yes, I understand that by writing him in I am sending a vote towards the current administration because it wont be a vote for the "official" republican nominee.
It is a matter of principle.
I know it is bad form to speak about politics and religion at the bar.
Well.. I don't believe in god and this ain't a bar.

Edited by Ice-axe on 01/21/2012 19:52:21 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Re Re A Kinder, Gentler and Less Hypocritical Leadership on 01/21/2012 19:52:46 MST Print View

Luke:

I misread. Though you are cynical, you are right. However, we have had great leaders in the past...

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Ben on 01/21/2012 19:58:59 MST Print View

I editted a bit but your understanding is still on...
Maybe its because I like history I have my views. There have always been scoundrels and complete idiots in politics with the occassional great leader. Even very smart well intened leaders have made mistakes and left mixed legacies. Somehow our country has managed to keep going and its still full of great people, great oppurtunities and great backpacking. Thats all I want to say on politics tonight. Whatever happens over the next year I'm greatfull for what I have. Now I'd better be quite.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Confused on 01/21/2012 20:00:57 MST Print View

"Yes, I understand that by writing him in I am sending a vote towards the current administration because it wont be a vote for the "official" republican nominee."

You understand wrong, my friend. By writing him in you're casting your vote for the person you want for president. While I don't join you in your admiration for Paul, I applaud you for not succumbing to the lesser-of-two-evils mindset that far too many voters have. It's a mindset that continually leaves us with lousy presidents.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re Re A Kinder, Gentler and Less Hypocritical Leadership on 01/21/2012 20:03:38 MST Print View

"However, we have had great leaders in the past..."

In the past. :(

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Confused on 01/21/2012 20:06:40 MST Print View

"I know it is bad form to speak about politics and religion at the bar.
Well.. I don't believe in god and this ain't a bar."

I like that.

Ron Paul is completely bewildering to me; how can somebody get so much so right while also getting so much so wrong?

That said, I hope he stays in the race and runs 3rd party. Whether or not he can win, someone in the debates needs to call B.S. on all these corporate huckster warmongers- democrat and republican alike.

And well said Doug. If my vote is to count for anything (which I really question these days) let it at least go to someone that might inspire me.

Edited by xnomanx on 01/21/2012 20:09:26 MST.

Matthew Black
(mtblack)
Re: Re: Confused on 01/21/2012 20:12:25 MST Print View

+1 to Doug's post.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Lesser-of-two-evils on 01/22/2012 08:14:06 MST Print View

It's not the lesser-of-two-evils mindset that's screwing everything up

It's "the best government that money can buy" mindset that's screwing everything up

Pass a constitutional amendment that says corporations can't spend money on politics and individuals limited amount,

and no difference between direct contributions or buying "attack ads"