I really like the material in these things. I bought a few in a military surplus store. The owner said they were cap stiffeners. Can you id the material? I'd love to buy a few yards of it. I've purchased every type of mesh that I can find and nothing matches up.
(1) It appears to be woven with plastic like threads that are hard like nylon fish line.
(2) The threads are locked into place somehow (glue, heat, ?). I can't even move the interlocking connections if I insert a needle between threads and wiggle it.
(3) Zero (or close to it) stretch.
(4) Lightweight. This 25+" piece weighs ,8 ounces.
(6) Holds shape. Several years of use as a waist belt haven't deformed it or stretched it.
Waist Belt Use
The material, and the shape of this stiffener in particular, are, in my opinion, perfect for waist belts.
The stiffener is shaped like a horizontal section cut from a cone. It fits perfectly as a waist belt for me.
It is as comfortable as any waist belt that I have used and is light, easy to sew, non-stretching, very durable and breathable. It also has a texture that helps it stay in place when worn.