Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Tall side mesh pocket on pack? What to put in it.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Johnson
(Seattle)

Locale: PNW
Tall side mesh pocket on pack? What to put in it. on 01/21/2012 09:59:40 MST Print View

I just loaded up my SMD Swift last night and realized that I didn't have anything in the tall side mesh pocket. I have a 7lb baseweight so I'm not carrying a lot of extras. I could put my polls in there (upside down of course) but that's the only thing I can think of and I hike with those all the time. Maybe switch my 1L Platy to the tall pocket and use the other pocket for food? Then I could ditch the hipbelt and pockets on that. Any other ideas?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Tall side mesh pocket on pack? What to put in it. on 01/21/2012 10:10:38 MST Print View

24oz Modelos

I've gotten to dislike hipbelts pockets as they seem to take quite a beating when going off trail as I am pushing through bushes and climbing over blow downs. I prefer a pocket on the shoulder strap ala Colin Fletcher's office on the yoke idea.

Edited by kthompson on 01/21/2012 10:13:10 MST.

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - M
Re: Re: Tall side mesh pocket on pack? What to put in it. on 01/21/2012 10:18:14 MST Print View

Modelos in any size are a good idea. I've never taken my Swift off-trail but can see the conundrum. Mesh pockets really are a liability when bushwhacking and there is no law that states that each pocket must be filled while backpacking. Not even on a UL pack. I tend to put my rain poncho or shelter in that one.

Edited by mtblack on 01/21/2012 10:20:18 MST.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Tall side mesh pocket on pack? What to put in it. on 01/21/2012 11:14:08 MST Print View

Yeah, I felt the same way. The Swift is big enough that you can fit most stuff inside, especially if you have a 7lb base weight. I usually just ended up putting my polycro ground sheet in there and when I had a full bear canister inside the pack I moved my tarptent to that pocket. Would have preferred just a normal size side pocket.